Student Visa in Australia

Student visa

There is a visa with which it is possible to study and work in Australia: it is called a student visa and in Dingoos we are experts in processing it, so much so that we will do all the paperwork so that you can give it almost without realizing it. Keep reading to see how we do it!

There is a way to study and work in Australia It works like a mathematical formula: get your student visa. Because once you have it, you can now step on Australian territory with all of the law and stay here as long as your course lasts, whether it's three months or five years. And besides, it allows you to work while you study, so once you're here you won't have to touch a penny of your savings!

You are about to discover everything you've always wanted to know about one of the most top visas that exist on this side of the ocean. Are we going for him?

Requirements to apply for student visa in Australia

To get the Australian student visa you need to meet a series of minimum requirements. But calm, because they are nothing of the other world and, in addition, in Dingoos we will always be by your side to help you at every step:

  • Enroll in an approved course (CRICOS): Are you not sure what to study? Nothing happens! You will have a Dingoos Guide at your disposal that will advise you on all your options to discover together what motivates you and go for it. In addition, once you decide which course you want to take, you will be in charge of the entire enrollment process with the sole objective of making things even easier.
  • Have a COE (Confirmation Of Enrollment): The COE is a code associated with a course within an approved school and you get it once you enroll in the school. In Dingoos we will also take care of getting it for you.
  • Have a passport with a minimum validity of 6 months: if you have it expired or about to expire, nothing happens ... it's as easy as approaching one morning to renew it!
  • Write and send a GTE letter: a kind of motivational letter in which you must explain the reasons why you are wishing to study in Australia. Do not suffer for this, our team will also help you write the letter so that you write just what you are wishing to read and in English that neither Shakespeare.
  • Hire OSHC health insurance: To get your visa you will need health insurance that covers the full duration of your visa. In Dingoos we have agreements with the best insurers in the market and we will help you to obtain insurmountable insurance in relation to quality and price.
  • Pay the visa fee: This will vary depending on whether you come alone or as a couple, according to the Australian government data in 2019, the costs of the student visa are:
    • Individual: $ 620 AUD
    • Couple: $ 1.080 AUD

An important thing! Keep in mind that, depending on your nationality, the Australian government reserves the right to request additional requirements, such as proof of your financial funds or medical exams.

How to apply for a student visa?

The student visa is requested online through the official website Immiaccount, from the Department of Home Affairs of the Australian Government.

Before applying for your student visa in Australia, make sure you meet all the requirements mentioned in the previous section and ask us any questions you have. But really, whatever your case, don't worry about anything: because in Dingoos we will not only help you collect and prepare all the necessary documents to apply for your visa, we will go one step further. Many steps beyond! Our team of Visa Experts for Australia will take care of the application for you, doing all the tedious paperwork and making sure that your only concern is to think about what you are going to see first when you get your first salary, whether Mount Uluru or the Sydney Opera House.

How does Dingoos help you in the process of preparing and applying for your Australian student visa?

Once you have contacted us, your Dingoos Guide will advise and accompany you throughout the process. It will help you develop a personalized curriculum that suits your goals and budget.

First we will help you to choose the course that best suits you and, once you are clear, we will help you with All enrollment procedures at school by sending your Application Form and getting the Letter Of Offer It will contain the details of the course, duration, price and personalized payment plan.

As soon as you confirm your enrollment in the school, we will obtain the COE (Confirmation Of Enrollment), the official code that approves a course to apply to the student visa and that, as you have read a few lines above, is one of the essential requirements.

With the COE in your possession, the Dingoos Guide will put you in touch with one of our visa teammates who will handle all the paperwork involved in preparing your visa. Thus, you just have to worry about thinking about how many swimsuits you put in your suitcase.

So that you have an overview and see even more clearly how the whole process works, in the following infographic we have illustrated all the steps: from when you contact us until we get your visa. Because with cartoons things are understood even better!

infographic student visa for Australia

What types of courses can you study in Australia to apply for a student visa?

Basically almost anything you want, you can even combine several courses as we will tell you later. The key is to focus your strategy to get the most out of the visa!

Because you'll see, it works like this; The validity of the visa is the time that your studies last plus the holidays associated with each course. We help you design a curriculum focused on obtaining the longest visa duration at the lowest possible price, always looking for a plan that fits your objectives perfectly.

For example, if you are clear about what you want to come to Australia for a long season (more than a year), it is recommended that you enroll from the beginning in several courses. Thus, you will save the money from the first student visa renewal fees ($ 620 AUD).

On the other hand, if you prefer to come and try your luck for a shorter period (for example 6 months) and once you are here you decide that you want to renew it, there is no problem: we can also help you with the paperwork for your visa renewal. Do not hesitate to contact us, we will advise you for free and without obligation!

This is what you can study with the student visa:


English course

They can be of general English or of preparation for a specific exam (IELTS, Cambridge, etc.)


VET course

VET courses are similar to Spanish FPs. They offer a very practical training linked to the labor market.


Higher Education Course

Masters, doctorates or degrees in universities: if you enroll in an official course of an Australian university you will also get your student visa.

Advantages of the student visa

The question should be what advantages it does not have! Because the truth is that everything is facilities, and more if you compare it with other visas. Here are some examples:

  • It has no age limit.
  • It is the easiest visa to get.
  • You can get it without accrediting your level of English.
  • You will not have to "compete with others," as with the Work and Holiday Visa.
  • You can work with a student visa in Australia to pay for your stay, which does not happen if you apply for a tourist visa. If you come with the student visa, you can combine your studies with a part-time job and even increase it full-time during the holiday season.
  • Your partner can accompany you and also work part-time even if you are not a student.

Student visa price

The price of the student visa is $ 620 AUD. Or what is the same: about 382 euros, 1.385.594 Colombian pesos, 293.560 Chilean pesos or 685 US dollars. You can pay them directly with the card when you request it.

  • Main Applicant Cost: $ 620 AUD
  • Cost of accompanying student visa (couple): $ 460 AUD

Response times to my student visa

The Australian Immigration Department on its website informs about the average response times to student visa applications. Depending on the applicant's nationality or the type of course chosen (ELICOS = English; VET = vocational) the response time may vary based on the following criteria:

  • The Australian Immigration Department's response to international student applications usually takes:
    • 13 days for 75% of applications
    • 28 days for 90% of applications
  • For enrolled in ELICOS courses (English courses), the response time usually ranges from:
    • 29 days for 75% of applications
    • 38 days for 90% of applications
  • For enrolled in VET courses (vocational courses):
    • 42 days for 75% of applications
    • 76 days for 90% of applications

We speak? Write us!

Contact us and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you in less than it takes to organize a barbecue.
Form image
Your message is on its way!
A Dingoos Guide will read it and respond to you in the next 24/48 hours.
If after this period you have not received an email, remember to check your Spam folder.


    Can you work with the student visa?

    Of course, it is one of its great advantages! You can work up to 40 hours every 2 weeks from the start date of your course. And during the holiday period, you can work full time.

    Is there a age limit for the student visa?

    No, there is no age limit for obtaining a student visa.

    Can I take my partner?

    Yes, you can include your partner in your student visa as long as you can prove that you have been together for more than 1 year. Your partner must also meet the general requirements of any applicant.

    Do I need a medical examination?

    In some cases, the Australian Immigration Department may request some of the applicants to perform a medical examination if there are indications that they may not meet the minimum health requirements.

    Should we show financial funds?

    Depending on the risk level of your passport, the Australian Government may request proof of financial funds to prove that you have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia.

    I want more information

    Do I need medical insurance?

    Yes, it is a mandatory requirement. Each applicant for a student visa in Australia must be covered for the entire duration of the visa with mandatory health insurance known as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This insurance can only be contracted through one of the suppliers approved by the Australian Government, such as Allianz, Nib, Bupa ... In Dingoos we have agreements with several of the most important insurance companies in the market and we can get you a sure incredible at an even more incredible price.

    How long does the visa last?

    The student visa is a temporary visa that allows you to study up to 5 years. The type of course or courses, their duration and the vacations of your academic planning will determine the total duration of your visa. When you finish your course, you can study another, and so on until you reach the maximum time allowed by law.

    Will I enjoy a holiday with a visa?

    Of course. Within the academic planning that we will help you elaborate from Dingoos, you will have holiday periods included. Its duration will be fixed based on the duration of your course or courses.

    In what cases can I apply for the Graduate visa after finishing my studies?

    You can apply for this visa (subclass 485) if you are holder of a student visa and you have completed an academic planning which gives you access to the Graduate Visa in the last six months.

    Do I need to have an English level?

    You do not need it if you are going to study an English course (ELICOS). On the other hand, if you want to study a VET, TAFE or higher degree course, it is possible that you must present an English level test with your application.

    Is it the same requirement for all applicants?

    In principle, the general requirements are the same for all applicants, but the Australian Immigration Department reserves the right to request additional evidence from those applicants it considers. The most common additional tests are usually medical, biometric or economic funds.

    Can I renew my student visa?

    Of course you can. You should simply contact us and we will help you with the development of a new academic planning that allows you to apply for the renewal of your student visa.

    Can I apply for a visa from within Australia?

    Yes, the student visa can be requested both from within and from outside Australia. But keep in mind that when you apply for the second time in a row from within Australia, the Australian Government will add an extra $ 700 AUD to the cost of $ 620 AUD for the application.

    Can I combine several courses within the same student visa?

    Yes. In fact it is more than advisable if you want to get a longer duration of the student visa to save costs. To do this, we must upload a CoE for each course. The last course you take will be considered as the main course of your study planning.

    Can I travel while in Australia with this visa?

    Of course. During study vacation periods you can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want. Of course, keep in mind that the time you spend outside Australia, in no case will extend the validity date of your visa.

    I would like to go study in Australia with my youngest son. It's possible?

    If possible. However, if your child is over 5 years old, their schooling in Australia will be compulsory. You will have to attend an Australian educational center, with other Australian children, or a center with international minor students in order to reinforce your level of English.

    I have insurance in my home country that covers trips abroad. Is that insurance enough for the student visa?

    Hiring OSHC insurance is mandatory in order to apply for a student visa, regardless of whether you have other insurance from your country of origin. You can purchase additional insurance if you wish to cover services that are not included in your OSHC insurance.

    If I apply for the student visa and then decide to cancel my experience, will I be reimbursed the cost of the visa application?

    No. The cost of the visa application is not refundable, regardless of whether or not you are granted a visa and whether or not you cancel your experience without having used the entire visa time.

    Can OSHC insurance be paid in installments?

    No. Immigration needs to check when reviewing your visa application that the insurance you have contracted covers your entire stay.

    I have sent the application to the student visa and I have seen that I have made a mistake. Can incorrect information be corrected?

    Yes, you can correct incorrect answers through the Immigration platform where visas are requested.

    Is the visa paid once you have been granted it?

    In order to send the visa application, it is mandatory to pay the Immigration fee. Until you make the payment, your request will not have been sent.

    From when can I enter Australia since the student visa is granted?

    Initially, once you are granted a visa, you can enter Australia whenever you want. However, keep in mind that you will not be able to work until your course starts, so it is not recommended to enter too far in advance.

    From what moment can I work with a student visa?

    You can work once the course included in your visa begins. If you have enrolled in several courses, you can start working from the beginning of your first course.

    Qeac agent icon

    QEAC certified agents

    Remember that to apply for the student visa you will need the help of an agent with the necessary official certification. At Dingoos we have a qualified and accredited team with official QEAC certification.

    To ensure a better browsing experience, we advise you to put your phone vertically.

    Australia's most famous cookies are called "Anzac Biscuits". Accept them to continue browsing the web. See Cookies policy

    Notice of cookies