Types of visas for Australia

No matter what you come to do in Australia, you will need a visa.

tipos de visados en australia
At Dingoos, we are experts in Australia and we will accompany you at every step to help you decide which visa suits you best. Once you are clear about it, we will help you with all the procedures so that getting it is so easy that you won’t even notice.

Think of a visa as a kind of key that opens the doors of the country and all the opportunities that come with it. But of course, to grant you that document, the Australian Government wants to know who you are, what you come for, how long you plan to stay, if you come alone or with someone else, and some other things.

That’s why, as we said at the beginning, there are different types of visas for different types of people. But what you should be clear about is that one of them has your name on it, so… keep reading to find out which one is the best for you!

1. What is a visa and why do you need it?

First of all, a visa is nothing more than a document issued by a country that authorizes the entry of a foreign person into its borders to study, work, or simply go on vacation. Each visa has a duration, a price, and specific characteristics.

If you like, let’s take a look at the different types of Australian visas so that you can start getting familiar with them. Of course, there’s no need to repeat what we always tell you: at Dingoos, we are here to analyze your personal situation and advise you on the visa that best suits your goals. Don’t hesitate to ask us any questions you may have. We’re sure we have the exact answer to what you’re worried about!

2. Types of visas for Australia

Of the different types of visas that exist to access Australia, the three most common visas are: the student visa, Work and Holiday visa, and the tourist visa. Although there are also other less common visas that require more specific requirements, such as the Graduate Visa, Sponsor Visa, and Skilled Visa.

Tourist visa

A visa that allows you to stay in Australia as a tourist for a maximum of 12 weeks.

Opción recomendada

Student visa

A visa that allows you to work in Australia for 24 hours a week while studying a part-time course.

W&H Visa

A visa that allows you to work in Australia full-time and travel on your holidays.

Graduate Visa

A work visa for international students with studies related to jobs on the Skill List.

Sponsor Visa

A work visa for which an Australian company specifically hires a foreign worker.

Skilled Visa

A visa for skilled workers with professions in demand in Australia..

Depending on your situation and what you need, one or the other will be better for you. For example, if your idea is to study English while working part-time to pay for your stay, the visa that best suits you is the student visa.

That’s when Dingoos comes into your life through a very special figure: the Dingoos Guide, who will help you choose the visa that best suits your needs and accompany you throughout the process.

To make all this information fuss easier for you, we have developed the following table where you will see at a glance the main differences between the three most common visas:

Table Plugin
* Depends on nationality
** Depends on the course and holidays
*** Extendable for 1 more year depending on the specific requirements of each country

If you want to know which visa option is best for your goals in Australia, fill out the following form and a Dingoos Guide will contact you to offer personalized and free advice.

Looking for a visa to study in Australia?

Contact us and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you as soon as possible :)

Imagen Formulario
¡Tu mensaje está de camino!
Un Guía Dingoos lo leerá y te responderá en las próximas 24/48 horas.
Si pasado este plazo no has recibido un email, recuerda revisar tu carpeta de Spam.

    Acepto recibir comunicaciones de Dingoos

    3. Tourist visa (600 or 651)

    This is the option you’re looking for if you’re coming to Australia for a holiday or a short period of time.

    There are two types of tourist visas: the eVisitor visa (651), which is free and allows you to stay for a maximum of 3 months, and the Visitor visa (600), which costs between $150 AUD and $1120 AUD and allows you to stay for a maximum of 12 months in the country.


    Useful information about the tourist visa:

    • Visa fee: depending on the option you choose: free or between $150 AUD and $1120 AUD.
    • Nationality: all countries can apply for the tourist visa.
    • English level required: you don’t need a minimum level of English. Of course, you don’t have to be multilingual to go on vacation!
    • Application process: you need to create an account on ImmiAccount and fill out the form for your application. Make sure your passport covers the entire period you will be staying in Australia.

    Can I work with the tourist visa?

    With this visa, you can’t work under any circumstances, but you can study a course that lasts less than 3 months.

    If you’re interested in this visa and want more information about it, take a look at our page on the tourist visa for Australia where you’ll find all the detailed information about this type of visa, as well as a step-by-step guide to apply for it.

    4. Student visa (500)

    The student visa is the most popular and ideal if you’re looking to study in Australia while working part-time to pay for your stay.

    To be able to obtain the student visa, you’ll need to enroll in a recognized course that lasts at least 10 weeks.

    Your visa will cover the period of study plus extra vacation time, which will vary depending on the duration of the course you choose. For example, if you decide to study a 6-month English course, your visa could last up to 8 months.

    One of the advantages of this visa is that it has no age limit for the applicant, you don’t have to prove a minimum level of English, and your partner can accompany you and also work part-time even if they are not a student.

    If you decide on the student visa, you’re in luck because thanks to Dingoos’ free visa processing service, we’ll take care of all the necessary procedures to obtain your visa, and you’ll only have to worry about preparing your trip and waiting for the moment to get on the plane.


    Useful information about student visa:

    • Visa fee: $650 AUD.
    • Nationality: depending on the nationality or personal profile of the applicant, the requirements for obtaining a student visa may vary; that’s why it is so important to thoroughly study each individual case and prepare a solid application. Don’t worry: at Dingoos, we are accredited educational agents and will guide you through the process to ensure your application is impeccable.
    • English level required: if you come to study an English course (ELICOS), you will not need to provide any level accreditation. If you come with the intention of studying a vocational course (VET or TAFE), you must have at least an Upper Intermediate level of English.
    • Application method: through the Australian Immigration Department, after enrolling in an accredited course and prior confirmation through the COE code that we will help you obtain during the enrollment process at the school where you decide to study. You can be confident at all times, because even though many of these things may seem like mountains of paperwork, one of our Visa Experts will take care of everything for you. And for free!

    Can you work with a student visa?

    Yes, with a student visa, you can work part-time, up to 24 hours per week during the study period and up to 48 hours during vacation periods.

    Additionally, if you come to Australia with us, among others, you will have included our exclusive job search support service in which we will give you lots of advice that will be very useful when looking for the job you are seeking.

    4.1. Student visa for couples

    This type of visa allows you to come to Australia accompanied by your partner so that both of you can legally study and work in the country. Sounds good, lovebirds, right?

    It is an ideal option for formal and well-matched couples, although you should know that the conditions are not the same for both members.


    Specifics about the student visa for couples:

    • Visa fee: $1,135 AUD ($650 AUD for the main applicant + $485 AUD for the dependent applicant).
    • Documents to demonstrate the couple’s relationship: in general, applicants for this type of visa must demonstrate that they have been a couple for more than a year. The ways to prove it may vary depending on each case. It is important to study the application in a personalized way. But, no worries, we will inform you of the requirements that you and your partner must meet and we will help you put together a solid application.
    • English level required: since it is a modality within the student visa, the same English level criteria already mentioned in the student visa apply. However, in case it is necessary, only the main student must provide proof of English proficiency.
    • Possibility of studying for the dependent partner: the student’s partner (the main applicant) can also study if they wish, but always keeping in mind the limit of 3 months. If they want to study a longer course, they must apply for their own student visa.

    Can you work with this visa?

    The main student or applicant can work part-time during the course (24 hours per week) and full-time during vacation (48 hours per week).

    Meanwhile, the dependent applicant can only work part-time (with one exception: if the student is going to do a master’s or a doctorate, the dependent can work full-time).

    Questions? Check out our Visado de pareja en Australia page for more detailed information.

    5. Work & Holiday Visa (417)

    The Work and Holiday visa grants you a 1-year residence permit in Australia. Holders can work (up to 6 months for the same employer) and study (for 3 months). However, you should keep in mind that this visa is not available for all nationalities, and for those where it is available, places are limited. You will need to be among the first to apply and meet a series of requirements.

    If you are already a Work & Holiday visa holder, you will surely have many doubts and need support when you arrive in Australia. That is why, at Dingoos, we have designed a W&H Welcome Package with lots of advantages that will help you start your adventure in the best possible way and make your integration into Australia a resounding success. Be sure to check it out because we are sure you will be interested… a lot!


    Minimum requirements to acquire the W&H:

    • Be between 18 and 30 years old (although there are rumors that it will soon be extended to 35, we will keep you informed!).
    • Have an official English qualification (equivalent to a B2).
    • Have sufficient funds to cover your stay in Australia.
    • Apply from outside Australia.
    • Not be accompanied by a partner or children.

    Useful information about the Work & Holiday visa:

    • Visa price: $510 AUD.
    • Countries with limited places: Spain, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Uruguay, Portugal, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Luxembourg, Poland, Slovakia, San Marino, Turkey, and the United States of America.
    • Countries with unlimited places: Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Italy, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Cyprus, the Republic of Ireland, Sweden, and Canada.
    • Valid English qualifications to prove your level:
      • Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)
      • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
      • Occupational English Test (OET)
      • Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT),
      • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic).
    • Exception to the English level test: You will not need to prove your English level if you hold any of the following nationalities: United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland.
    • Application mode: On July 1 of each year, the deadline to apply by postal mail or online opens (depending on your nationality, you can apply in one way or another).

    Can you work with the Work & Holiday Visa?

    Yes, of course. You can work in Australia for 1 year, extendable to 2 years if you work for more than 3 months (within your first year) in specific areas delimited by the Australian Government in jobs in the tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry, or fishing sectors. You can even get a 3rd year of W&H if you work another 6 months in the mentioned areas and sectors.

    We know that there is a lot of information, and you probably still want to know more. That is why we have developed a definitive guide with everything about the Work and Holiday visa. Take a look, and you will see how clear it is!

    Do you want to know more about Australia?

    Keep reading and discover everything you need to know about studying, living, and working in Australia.


    We want you to get to know Australia. That is why we tell you what its main characteristics are, what its cities are like, and some curiosities about the country that will not leave you indifferent. Let's go to Australia!

    Studying in Australia

    Studying in Australia is not the hardest thing in the world, but it's not as easy as waking up one day with crossed wires and saying, "Today I feel like going to the other side of the world for six months, I'm going to pack my bags."

    Living in Australia

    Our goal is to make everything clear from the beginning, so you know at all times what you will find on the other side of the world and don't get any surprises. Ready?

    Working in Australia

    Australia is a very safe country, with unstoppable economic growth for over 25 years and lots of opportunities and advantages for those who want to come and grow professionally and personally.

    6. Graduate Visa (485)

    The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is a work visa designed for international students who have completed two years of study in qualifications related to the most sought-after jobs in Australia (known as the Australian skill list). Its duration ranges from 18 months to 4 years, depending on the study plan of each case. It’s a great step in your career and a stepping stone to obtaining the coveted Skilled Visa in many cases.

    Its two major advantages are that it allows you to start a career in Australia and you can include family members in the application, specifically spouses, de facto partners or same-sex partners and dependent children. They, in turn, can work without any time restrictions.


    Useful information at a glance for the first visa

    • Visa cost: from $1,730 AUD.
    • Nationality: nationality does not affect the application for this type of visa as only those who have previously studied in Australia (i.e., those who have passed the nationality filter in the student visa) can access it.
    • General requirements: you can obtain it if you have completed your studies in Australia with a minimum Diploma qualification. Additionally, you must have a valid visa and no more than 6 months have passed since you finished your studies.
    • Required English level: A general score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts of the IELTS General.
    • Application mode: it’s applied for online. These are the steps you should follow for its application:
      1. Create a new account or log in to ImmiAccount.
      2. Attach your documents and ensure that family applications are processed together. Each family member must have their application fee paid and their documents attached to their application.
      3. Pay the application fee. The application will not be processed until the fee is paid. You can find more info on the following homeaffairs.gov.au link.

    Can you work with the Graduate Visa?

    Of course, you can: with the Graduate Visa, you can work full-time after finishing your studies in Australia.

    If you want to read more in-depth about this type of visa, take a look at our page with everything you wanted to know but no one ever told you about the Temporary Graduate Visa.

    7. Sponsor Visa (482)

    This visa is currently known as the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa, although it’s commonly still referred to as the Sponsor Visa or Sponsorship. It’s an unusual and difficult to obtain work visa, especially if you are outside the country.

    And why is it so difficult to obtain? Well, because for you to be granted it, a company must show its interest in hiring a worker (that is, you) and justify to the Australian Government why it needs to hire a person from outside and not an Australian (that is, you).

    Among its advantages, it’s worth noting that it has a duration of between 3 and 4 years. In addition, it’s extendable to all family members, and the employer is required to pay a minimum salary of approximately $50,000 AUD.


    Useful information about Sponsor Visa:

    • Visa price: from $1,330 AUD.
    • Nationality: any.
    • Application mode: You will need to prepare your application in collaboration with the company that has offered to sponsor you. The best way to obtain it is by being very professional, dedicated to your work, and highly specialized.
    • Required English level: You need to demonstrate a certain level of English, at least a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General title.

    Can you work with this visa?

    Yes, with this visa, you can work, and in addition to your field with a presumably high salary.

    8. Skilled Visa

    The Skilled Visa, more than a type of visa, would be a category since it includes many types of visas with a common denominator, all of which are designed to assess whether you possess the specific skills that are demanded by the Australian Government for certain professions.

    If you meet the demanding requirements of any of the demanded professions, you could apply. Obtaining a Skilled Visa would get you the coveted permanent residency. In the following link, you can check the list of the most demanded professions.

    If you want to know the different subclasses of Skilled Visa for Australia, the documentation to be sent, the scoring system, and other requirements about this exclusive visa, undoubtedly, you will need the help of an immigration lawyer.


    The general requirements are:

    • Be under 45 years old.
    • Have a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General title. The better the score, the more points you will get.
    • That your profession is within the list of the most demanded professions in Australia.
    • Have demonstrable work experience in the position applied for.
    • Meet the requirements that the competent authority demands to give you professional validation.

    Useful information about Skilled Visa:

    • Visa price: from $4,240 AUD.
    • Nationality: any.
    • Required English level: You will need to have a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General title.
    • Application mode: It is recommended to make the application through an accredited immigration lawyer, but if you decide to apply yourself, you will need to follow these steps:
      1. Log in to your SkillSelect account.
      2. In SkillSelect, click on the ‘Apply for Visa’ button. This will take you to the online system, ImmiAccount.
      3. Log in or create an ImmiAccount. Your ImmiAccount username and password will not be the same as your SkillSelect username and password.
      4. Attach your documentation.
      5. Pay the application fee.
      6. Note down your transaction reference number (TRN).

    Can you work with this visa?

    Of course, this visa will offer you the same labor rights as any Australian. As you know, it is designed for you to work in Australia in one of the most demanded professions by the Government.

    9. Visa prices

    Below, by way of summary, we provide a table that brings together all the prices of all the types of visas we have reviewed. So you can check them at a glance.

    Table Plugin
    Table Plugin
    Table Plugin
    Table Plugin

    10. Frequently asked questions about visas for Australia


    Can I apply for a student visa with my partner? What requirements must we meet?

    You can apply for a student visa as a couple as long as you meet certain requirements and can demonstrate that you have been together for a minimum of one year. Visit our page with all the information about the student visa as a couple.


    Can I go to study in Australia with my underage child?

    Yes, it is possible. However, if your child is over 5 years old, schooling in Australia will be mandatory. They will have to attend an Australian educational center, with other Australian children, or a center with international students under the age of 18 in order to reinforce their level of English.


    Is it mandatory to show funds to apply for a student visa to Australia?

    The funds demonstration requirements for the student visa vary depending on the course and school you choose and your personal circumstances. If you are thinking of applying for a student visa, you can contact the Dingoos team and we will advise you based on your profile.


    Is it mandatory to take out health insurance to apply for a student visa?

    One of the main requirements for applying for a student visa is to take out specific medical insurance for international students, known as Overseas Student Health Cover, which covers the stay in Australia. There are different insurers that offer this insurance, and in this article on our blog, you can find more information.


    Can I apply for a student visa with my travel insurance that covers overseas travel?

    No, purchasing OSHC insurance is mandatory to apply for a student visa, regardless of whether you have other insurance from your home country. You can purchase additional insurance if you wish to cover services that are not included in your OSHC insurance.


    If I apply for a student visa and later decide to cancel my experience, will the visa application fee be refunded?

    No. The visa application fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether the visa is granted or not and whether you cancel your experience without having used all of the visa time.


    Can the OSHC insurance be paid in installments?

    No. Immigration needs to verify when reviewing your visa application that the insurance you have purchased covers your entire stay.


    I have submitted my student visa application and I have seen that I made a mistake. Can I correct the incorrect information?

    Yes, you can correct incorrect answers through the Immigration platform where visa applications are requested.


    Do I pay for the visa once it has been granted to me?

    To be able to submit the visa application, it is mandatory to pay the Immigration fee. Your application will not be sent until you make the payment.


    From when can I enter Australia once the student visa is granted?

    Initially, once the visa is granted, you can enter Australia whenever you want. However, keep in mind that you cannot work until your course starts, so it is not advisable to enter too early.


    I am in Australia, my student visa is going to expire, and I want to apply for another one. What will happen once my current visa expires?

    You will have to apply for the new visa before your current visa expires. Once your current visa expires, and until Immigration responds to your new visa, you will be granted a bridging visa so that you can remain in Australia legally.


    From when can I work with a student visa?

    You can work once the course included in your visa starts. If you have enrolled in several courses, you can start working as soon as your first course starts.


    What is the start date of a Work and Holiday visa?

    The Work and Holiday visa is valid for twelve months from the time you enter Australia.


    How long do I have to enter Australia once the Work and Holiday visa is granted?

    You have a maximum of twelve months to enter Australia from the moment your visa is granted.


    I have a bridging visa. Can I work while Immigration responds to my new visa?

    To find out if you can work or study with your bridging visa, you will need to check the conditions in the visa document.


    How long does it take for Immigration to respond to my student visa?

    Response times to visas by Immigration can vary depending on the time of year and the volume of applications received by the Department. On the Immigration website, you can check the estimated response times for each visa.


    Can I leave Australia while waiting for my student visa application to be processed?

    Yes, but you will need to apply for a specific bridging visa to be able to leave Australia.


    If my partner and I apply for a student visa as a couple, can the non-student partner work?

    Yes, but with a limitation of 24 hours per week. They will not be able to work 48 hours during their partner’s school vacation time.


    Can I study with any other visa besides the student visa?

    There are other visas with which you can work, but there is a maximum time limit. In the case of the Work and Holiday visa, for example, you can only study a maximum of four months in total.


    How can I know the price of each visa?

    You can check the application fee for each visa on the Immigration website.


    If I am inside Australia and want to apply for a tourist visa, which visa should I apply for?

    If you are inside Australia, you should apply for the Visitor subclass 600. If you are outside Australia, you will need to apply for the tourist visa eVisitor 651.


    What is the cost of biometrics for Australia?

    If you apply for a visa for Australia from a country where biometric testing is required, in addition to paying the visa fee for which you are applying, you will have to pay for the biometric testing for Australia. Here are approximate prices for the following countries:

    • Colombia: 220,000 COP
    • Peru: 224 PEN
    • Mexico: 86 USD

    What is the cost of medical tests for Australia?

    If the Australian Immigration Department requires you to present medical tests as a requirement to apply for your visa, you can perform these tests at accredited centers in your country. The cost of the tests is approximately:

    • Colombia: 340,000 COP
    • Chile: 145,000 CLP
    • Peru: 810 PEN
    • Ecuador: 250 USD
    • Mexico: 200 USD
    • Brazil: 750 BRL

    What requirements must I meet to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa?

    The main requirement to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa in Australia is to have completed at least 2 years in one of the degrees related to the most in-demand jobs in Australia.


    What is the fee for applying for the Skilled Visa in Australia?

    The price for the primary applicant of the Skilled Visa in Australia is $4,240 AUD.


    What is the fee to be paid to apply for the Temporary Skill Shortage visa?

    The Temporary Skill Shortage visa, also known as the Sponsor Visa, has a different price depending on the subcategory chosen for this visa:

    11. How do we help you at Dingoos?

    At Dingoos, as accredited education agents with the QEAC qualification, we advise and assist you in obtaining the student visa. We evaluate your risk profile and carry out all the necessary procedures for the preparation and application of your visa. Forget about paperwork!

    How do we do it? Very easy!

    • First, we help you choose the city, school, and course or courses you are looking for.
    • We take care of managing enrollment in the course and school you have chosen.
    • We evaluate your risk profile and inform you about the requirements you must meet to apply for the student visa. Depending on your nationality, the Australian Government may require more or less documentation to support your application.
    • That’s why we tell you exactly what documents you need to submit to make your application solid.
    • We help you collect these documents, review them, and prepare everything to upload your student visa application with the utmost guarantees.

    So you know, if you have any doubts about processing the student visa for Australia, do not hesitate to consult us. We are accredited professionals and will be happy to help you obtain the long-awaited visa grant so that you can fulfill your dream of studying and working in Australia.

    Do you want to know the visas available to travel to other countries?

    Keep reading and discover the main types of visas to travel to Canada, Ireland, Malta, and the United Kingdom.

    Types of visas in Canada

    There are many visas that allow for staying in Canada, and at Dingoos, we know them all. That's why we would love to advise you so that you can choose the visa that suits you best. Additionally, we help you with all the visa procedures for free so that you don't have to worry about anything.

    Types of visas in Ireland

    With a European passport, you won't need a visa to study and work in Ireland. If you're from Latin America, specific requirements for your nationality will apply. Whatever your case may be, at Dingoos, we'll help you with the procedures you need.  

    Types of visas in Malta

    There are different types of visas that allow for studying and working in Malta, depending on your nationality and length of stay. At Dingoos, we advise you and help you with all the procedures and arrangements in a 100% free and personalized manner.

    Types of visas in the UK

    Since Brexit, if you want to study in the UK, you need a visa. Luckily, at Dingoos, we've done our homework and kept up to date so that we can advise and help you choose the best way to fulfill your goal of studying in the UK. And all of this is completely free!  

    ¿Aún no conoces al #DingoosTeam?

    Descubre quienes somos y todo lo que podemos hacer por ti. ¡Te esperamos!

    Más información

    Para garantizar una mejor experiencia de navegación, te aconsejamos que pongas tu móvil de forma vertical.