visado estudiante canada

Student visa for Canada

There is a visa that allows you to study and work in Canada: it’s called a student visa, and at Dingoos, we are experts in processing it. We’ll take care of all the paperwork so you can get it almost without realizing it. Keep reading to see how we do it!

Do I need a student visa?

You don’t always need a student visa to study in Canada.

If you’re coming for a course of less than 24 weeks (6 months), you can do it with a tourist visa. Depending on your nationality, you may need to apply for a Visitor Visa or an eTA.

Want to know more about which tourist visa is right for you? Read our article with all the information about tourist visas for Canada.

If you want to take a course longer than 6 months, you’ll need to apply for a Study Permit along with your tourist visa, allowing you to study in Canada. That’s how it works in Canada.

To get the Study Permit, you’ll need to enroll in a course at one of the institutions approved by the Canadian government listed in the Designated Learning Institutions (DLI).

Want to know more about the student visa in Canada? You can keep reading or fill out our contact form to receive personalized advice from a Dingoos Guide.

More info on the student visa in Canada?

Contact us, and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

Imagen Formulario
¡Tu mensaje está de camino!
Un Guía Dingoos lo leerá y te responderá en las próximas 24/48 horas.
Si pasado este plazo no has recibido un email, recuerda revisar tu carpeta de Spam.

    Acepto recibir comunicaciones de Dingoos

    Requirements for applying for a student visa

    Let’s go over the general requirements to obtain your Study Permit.

    • Enroll in an approved educational institution (DLI) by the Canadian government.
    • Demonstrate savings to cover living expenses in Canada ($1,720 CAD per month). If your course is one year or longer, you must show that you have $20,635 CAD. If your course is less than a year, you only need to demonstrate the proportional part.
    • Letter of acceptance from the institution where you will study.
    • A certificate proving no criminal record.
    • Submit your biometric data. (You can learn more about what they are here).
    • Three color passport-sized photos in digital format.
    • Pay the student visa fee to the Canadian Immigration Department ($150 CAD).
    • If you are studying in the province of Quebec, you will also need to submit the CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) ($120 CAD).

    Keep in mind that depending on your nationality, the course you have chosen, or the province in Canada where you will study, additional requirements for traveling to Canada as a student may be requested.

    If bureaucracy gets on your nerves, you can contact us. At Dingoos, we have a visa and permit department that will gather all the necessary documents and submit them for your approval successfully and on the first try.

    How to apply for a student visa?

    The student visa is applied for online through the official website of the Canadian government.

    To apply for the student visa or Study Permit, the Canadian government has created a website. In a very simple way and from anywhere in the world, you can complete the online application.

    The most important thing for your application to be approved without problems is to make sure you meet all the requirements and submit all the documents correctly.

    If you have any doubts, Dingoos can help you. Contact us to get your student visa almost without realizing it.

    How Dingoos helps you with the student visa application?

    When you contact us, we will assign you your own Dingoos Guide. They will get to know your case thoroughly and advise you so you know what to choose. Together, you will explore course and visa options and choose the one that suits you best, always keeping your goals and budget in mind.

    Once your Dingoos Guide knows what you want, they will start searching for the best courses for you and then assist you with all the enrollment procedures at the school. Once you have the Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from the school, it’s time to prepare your student visa application for Canada (Study Permit Canada).

    And here’s the best part: if you plan your study trip with Dingoos, you’ll have the free support service included in the application for the Study Permit in Canada. Therefore, you can choose between having our Visa Department help you for free in preparing and applying for your student visa for Canada or connecting you with a trusted immigration lawyer to handle the same procedures. The choice is yours!

    And that’s how your adventure in Canada begins without you having to worry about anything. Such a good start can only be the beginning of an unforgettable story. Are you ready? We’ll be waiting for you at Dingoos!

    Courses you can study in Canada

    Did you know that Canada has one of the best education systems in the world according to the ONU? With your student visa in Canada, a new world of training opportunities opens up for you. You can choose from a variety of courses, from language courses to professional training and university degrees and doctorates. All these programs are designed to provide you with a comprehensive education and prepare you for the global job market.




    Language courses

    • English and French courses: Designed to strengthen your overall English or French skills. They are hired by weeks and divided into lessons where you will develop the four basic skills that will make you master the language like a local: speaking, writing, listening, and reading. In some schools, you can learn a more practical English by choosing optional classes in English such as marketing, cooking, or business.
    • Preparation for official exams: Need a certificate to prove your English level? If you’re thinking of studying in Canada or applying for a visa, you might need it. In these classes, you will be prepared to pass exams such as TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge with flying colors.
    • Academic English: These courses are very useful to refresh your English knowledge and build the confidence needed to attend classes in English. It is assumed that you already know English, and you will mainly learn structures to improve your presentations, conversations, and discussions.
    • Business English: If you want to make a grand entrance into the international business world, an intensive course focused on improving your vocabulary and communication skills to make you invincible in any boardroom.
    • Intensive English: If you have no time to waste and want to learn English quickly to start your professional training course, this is your course. They are like general English courses but condensed.

    Professional Training Courses

    Diplomas or Career Programs: These are professional training courses where you will learn through programs that combine theory and practice, providing you with all the skills you need to enter the workforce immediately.

    • With Co-Op: These courses are offered in public and private colleges in Canada. The significant advantage is that they are divided into a theoretical and practical block. During the theoretical block, you can work 20 hours a week. In the second block, you have the opportunity to do your internships, usually paid, working part-time or full-time in a company within your field of study. Additionally, if you study in a public college, you can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit upon completing your studies to continue working in Canada.
    • Without Co-Op: The only difference is that these courses do not include internships. They are a bit cheaper than Co-Op courses, but the downside is that you won’t gain experience in your field of study, and you won’t be eligible for a work permit upon completing your studies.

    The courses you can choose, with or without Co-Op, are super varied: you can study marketing, photography, programming, culinary arts, technology, sports, tourism

    Want to know more about the Professional Training Courses you can study in Canada? Write to us!


    University Courses

    Bachelors or Degree Programs: Equivalent to university degrees or higher education studies, these are offered at universities and institutes. In Canada, a significant portion of the educational offerings at this level is provided by public institutions, and the same goes for Bachelors. So, if you study for a degree in Canada, you can do it at a university accredited by the Canadian government. This not only looks great on your CV but also allows you to apply for permanent residency in Canada in the future. Additionally, there are several scholarships to study in Canada that can help finance your experience.

    Advantages of the student visa in Canada

    • Es la visa más fácil de conseguir.
    • Con visa, si estudias un curso de Formación Profesional o Bachelor, podrás combinar tus estudios con un trabajo a media jornada durante el curso y a jornada completa en vacaciones o durante los periodos de prácticas, con lo que podrás hacer suficiente dinero como para cubrir tus gastos en Canadá.
    • No necesitas saber inglés.
    • No hay límite de edad.

    Las plazas son ilimitadas y puedes solicitar tu visado en cualquier momento del año.

    • It is the easiest visa to obtain.
    • With a visa, if you are studying a Professional Training or Bachelor’s course, you can combine your studies with part-time work during the course and full-time work during vacations or internship periods, allowing you to earn enough money to cover your expenses in Canada.
    • You don’t need to know English.
    • There is no age limit.

    There are unlimited spots, and you can apply for your visa at any time of the year.

    Student visa prices

    Processing the Canada study visa costs $150 CAD.

    And the experience you will gain… is priceless!

    Canadian Government Response Times

    Las cosas de palacio, van despacio. Y las cosas con la burocracia canadiense, también. Te recomendamos que, si te apetece venir a estudiar a Canadá, empieces los trámites con unos 4 ó 5 meses de antelación. En el caso de querer estudiar dentro de Quebec, será mejor que empieces con 6 meses de antelación.

    Básicamente, hay muchas instituciones envueltas con las que tendrás que contactar para recibir o enviarles papeles. Si solo de pensar en tener que estar 5 meses organizando tu viaje a Canadá te aturde, ponte en contacto con Dingoos. Nosotros estamos muy acostumbrados a esto y nos encargaremos de realizar todo los trámites por ti, sin cobrarte nada y sin resoplar.

    Así tú te podrás centrar en ir mirando billetes de avión, y cuando te digamos que está aprobado, lo compras, haces la maleta y empezamos a preparar tu llegada a Canadá.

    Y si estás impaciente por empezar tu experiencia en Canadá, puede que tengas la suerte de poder conseguir tu permiso de estudio y trabajo en Canadá en tiempo record gracias al Student Direct Stream. ¡Sigue leyendo e infórmate!

    Palace affairs move slowly, and so do things with Canadian bureaucracy. We recommend that if you want to come to study in Canada, start the process about 4 to 5 months in advance. In the case of studying in Quebec, it’s better to start 6 months in advance.

    Basically, there are many institutions involved that you will need to contact to receive or send documents. If just thinking about organizing your trip to Canada for 5 months overwhelms you, get in touch with Dingoos. We are very accustomed to this, and we will take care of all the paperwork for you, without charging you anything and without complaining.

    So, you can focus on looking for flights, and when we say it’s approved, you buy it, pack your bags, and we start preparing for your arrival in Canada.

    And if you’re eager to start your experience in Canada, you might be lucky enough to get your study and work permit in Canada in record time thanks to the Student Direct Stream. Keep reading and find out!

    Student Direct Stream (SDS)

    The Student Direct Stream is a process enabled by the Canadian Immigration Government that allows international students from certain nationalities to obtain a study permit in Canada in a shorter time than applying through the standard process.

    So, residents of selected countries, such as Colombia, Peru, and Costa Rica, applying for their study permit through SDS can obtain their study permit in Canada in just 20 natural days from their application.

    To be able to apply for the study permit in Canada through SDS, you will need to meet some requirements in addition to being a resident of one of the selected countries. Let’s see them:


    Requirements to submit the study permit application through SDS

    Estos son los requisitos que debes cumplir para poder solicitar tu permiso de estudios a través del Student Direct Stream:

    • Presentar la solicitud online y residir fuera de Canadá en el momento de la solicitud.
    • Adjuntar certificado de estudios secundarios o superiores más recientes.
    • Presentar carta de aceptación de una institución de aprendizaje autorizada (DLI) privada o pública.
    • Presentar justificante del pago completo de la matrícula de tu primer año de estudios.
    • Acreditar un nivel de inglés a través de un título oficial expedido en los últimos dos años. Por ejemplo, el IELTS con una puntuación de 6.0.
    • Pasar los exámenes médicos (si se solicitan).
    • Proporcionar datos biométricos (si se solicitan).
    • Si lo requieren presentar un certificado de antecedentes penales (si se solicita).
    • Tener un Certificado de Inversión Garantizada de $10.000 CAD

    ¿Qué es y cómo conseguir el Certificado de Inversión Garantizada (GIC)

    El GIC es un certificado que demuestra que eres capaz de mantenerte económicamente en Canadá durante la duración de tus estudios.

    Podrás solicitar este certificado depositando al menos $10.000 CAD en cualquier banco asegurado por la Corporación Canadiense de Seguros de Depósitos (CDIC) o cualquier banco que figure en la página web del IRCC SDS.

    These are the requirements you must meet to apply for your study permit through the Student Direct Stream:

    • Submit the online application and reside outside of Canada at the time of the application.
    • Attach the most recent secondary or higher education certificate.
    • Submit a letter of acceptance from an authorized learning institution (DLI), whether private or public.
    • Provide proof of full payment of tuition for your first year of studies.
    • Demonstrate English proficiency through an official title issued in the last two years. For example, IELTS with a score of 6.0.
    • Undergo medical exams (if required).
    • Provide biometric data (if required).
    • If required, submit a criminal record certificate (if requested).
    • Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 CAD.

    What is and how to get the Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)?

    The GIC is a certificate that proves you can financially support yourself in Canada during the duration of your studies.

    You can apply for this certificate by depositing at least $10,000 CAD in any bank insured by the Canadian Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) or any bank listed on the IRCC SDS website.


    How to apply for SDS?

    Now that you know what the Student Direct Stream is and what requirements you must meet, let’s go through the steps to process your application:

    • Step 1: Create your account on IRCC and complete the application, including all required documents, pay the biometric fee, and submit the application.
    • Step 2: After paying the biometric fee and submitting your application, you will receive detailed instructions on biometric tests. From that moment, you will have 30 days to provide your biometric data in person.
    • Step 3: After providing your biometric data, you may also be asked for a medical exam and/or criminal record certificates. Although these data are not required in all cases, you can include them in your initial application if you want to expedite the process as much as possible.
    • Step 4: Once you provide your biometric data, your study permit application will be processed, and you will receive the result within 20 days.
    • Step 5: If your application is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction, which you will have to present to the airport officer when you arrive in Canada to obtain your study permit. Additionally, you will receive the electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a temporary resident visa to enter Canada, as applicable.

    At the moment your study permit in Canada is issued and handed to you, you must verify that all the data is correct before leaving the airport. In case of finding any error, you must inform the border services officer to correct it.

    episodio 3 podcast la huella

    La Huella

    Dingoos' Podcast

    In episode 3 of La Huella, our colleagues Yago and Raúl go over the necessary requirements to obtain a student visa in Canada.

    Frequently Asked Questions


    Can I work with a student visa?

    You can only work in Canada with a student visa if you are studying a Higher Education course (a certificate or a Career Program) offered by a College, or if you are studying a Bachelor’s or Degree at the University.

    If you come to take a language course, you cannot work legally.

    Our recommendation is that if you want to work while studying in Canada, you combine a language course with a Professional Training one. Contact us, and we’ll see which is the best option for you!


    How long can I stay in Canada with a student permit?

    The visa to study in Canada lasts as long as the course in which you have enrolled, plus 90 grace days that you can use for traveling or making arrangements to return to your country or extend your stay in Canada.


    What does the student permit or Study Permit allow me to do?

    With the Study Permit, you can enroll in Professional Training courses, Diplomas, Certificates with Co-Op, Bachelors, and university degrees offered in various Colleges and Universities in Canada.

    Additionally, with this permit, you can work 20 hours per week during the course and 40 hours per week during vacations and internship periods (if your course includes Co-Op).

    Certified CCEA Agents

    Remember that to apply for the Canadian student visa, you will need the help of a certified education agent. This certification is granted by the PIER organization to professionals in the international education sector who have passed the “Canada Course for Education Agents.”

    At Dingoos, we have this certification, so our Dingoos Guides are qualified to advise you on the requirements you must meet according to your profile and nationality.

    Moreover, they will help you gather all the documents before applying for your visa to study and work in Canada.

    ¿Aún no conoces al #DingoosTeam?

    Descubre quienes somos y todo lo que podemos hacer por ti. ¡Te esperamos!

    Más información

    Para garantizar una mejor experiencia de navegación, te aconsejamos que pongas tu móvil de forma vertical.