estudiar formacion profesional en canada

Study vocational training in Canada: Technical courses

If you already have a good level of English and are considering coming to Canada on a student visa, vocational training courses are the perfect option for you. Keep reading because we’ll explain everything you need to know about the most sought-after technical courses by our students. Are you ready?

Do you want to come to Canada to study and work at the same time, allowing you to cover your expenses and even save some money for travel? Well, your best option will be to choose a Vocational Training course, such as a Diploma (Co-Op) or a Career Program.

Keep reading to find out more about it or fill out the following form, and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you to provide personalized information!

Need help choosing a technical course in Canada?

Contact us, and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you within the next 24/48 hours.

Imagen Formulario
¡Tu mensaje está de camino!
Un Guía Dingoos lo leerá y te responderá en las próximas 24/48 horas.
Si pasado este plazo no has recibido un email, recuerda revisar tu carpeta de Spam.

    Acepto recibir comunicaciones de Dingoos

    What are Career Programs or Co-Op Diplomas?

    Canada offers a wide range of educational opportunities, and one of the most sought-after by both Canadian and international youth is vocational training courses like Co-Op diplomas. These programs stand out because they include both theoretical and practical components, teaching you everything you need to know to immediately enter the workforce. In fact, the practical part often takes place in real companies and is usually paid.

    These courses are only offered by certified colleges and have a very good reputation both within and outside of Canada.

    Their main advantage is that during the theoretical part of your Co-Op course, you can work part-time (20 hours per week). And during your internships, you’ll have the opportunity to work full-time (40 hours per week) in a company related to your studies. So, by the time you earn your diploma, you’ll already have some work experience!

    Moreover, if your course includes holidays, you can also work full-time during that time.

    On the other hand, studying a Co-Op course at a public college is the best option if you want to extend your stay and apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit later.


    Certified courses or diplomas without Co-Op

    Another option to study Vocational Training in Canada is to pursue a diploma without Co-Op. The only difference is that in these courses, there is no practical component, so you can only work 20 hours per week while studying and 40 hours per week during holidays.

    ¿Cómo funcionan los Career Programs o Co-Op?

    As we mentioned earlier, Co-Op diplomas and Career Programs are divided into two parts, one theoretical and one practical, which usually have the same duration.

    These courses can last from 6 months (with 3 months of theory and 3 months of practice) to 2 years (1 year of theory and 1 year of practice).

    During the theoretical part, you can work 20 hours a week in whatever job you like.

    Things change for the better when it’s time for your internships. During this part of the course, you can work full-time (40 hours a week). Of these 40 hours, half must be spent working for a company related to your studies, and the other 20 hours can be used wherever you want.

    Additionally, the schools themselves will help you create your resume and provide access to a job board where you can quickly find a company to do your internships, and they typically pay for it, as internships in Canada are usually paid.

    Our advice is to take advantage of this opportunity and choose a company where you can work full-time during your internship period. It will add value to your resume, especially if you plan to apply for one of the post-study visas for Canada later.

    What Are the Requirements for Studying a Co-Op or Career Program?

    Now it’s time to prepare your documents. Yes, it’s a hassle, but at this point, a stack of papers won’t stand between you and Canada, right? To make life easier, we’ve prepared a list of everything you need to gather:

    • Be over 18 years old.
    • A valid passport with at least 6 months of validity.
    • A student visa.
    • Valid international health insurance for the entire duration of the course.
    • Depending on the course, you may need to have completed secondary education in your country.
    • Proof of a medium to high level of English proficiency.
    • Acceptance letter from the school.

    Seems like a lot? Well, get in touch with Dingoos. We’ll help you for free with your visa application, course selection, and all the paperwork required for your enrollment.

    What Are the Advantages of Studying a Co-Op or Career Program?

    Studying a Co-Op or Career Program offers several benefits:

    • It allows you to work full-time during a portion of your visa.
    • It combines studies and work within a company related to your field of study.
    • Since it includes both theory and practice, you graduate better prepared and with less fear of entering the workforce.
    • If you want to stay in Canada, the practical component helps you enter the Canadian job market, especially if you’re interested in applying for permanent residence later on.
    • If you aim to start your career in another country, having real experience in a Canadian company looks impressive on the international job market.
    • Your internships can be with top companies in Canada, and if you perform well, they may offer you sponsorship once you complete your internship.
    • You’ll make valuable connections that can help you find work in the future. Networking is the best way to secure a good job, and by doing your internships in a real company, you’ll have many opportunities to make valuable connections.
    • The longer the course, the more time you have to explore Canada. This country and all its wonders are worth spending 2 years doing a Co-Op course.
    • These courses are a good investment since you’ll gain work experience and earn money during your internships.
    • A Co-Op course will help you grow as a professional and as a person, teaching you valuable lessons about empathy, respect, teamwork, and assertiveness that will serve you well throughout your life.

    Long-Term Benefits of Studying a Co-Op Course in Canada

    As mentioned earlier, if you decide to study a Co-Op course at a public college, you can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit upon completion.

    With this permit, you can live and work full-time in Canada for a period equal to the duration of your course (and sometimes longer).

    For international students looking to stay permanently in the country, a Co-Op course will be a great asset because, after studying, they can apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit to gain more work experience before applying for permanent residency.

    If you choose to study at a private college, you’ll save money since these courses are slightly cheaper, and you can also work part-time during the course and full-time during holidays. The major drawback is that you won’t have the option to apply for the Post Graduation Work Permit once you finish your studies.

    What types of Co-Op courses can be studied in Canada?

    You already know all the benefits that Co-Op courses offer, both for you and your resume. Now let’s discover what these courses are and what skills you’ll learn.

    As a general rule, these courses are usually related to the business world, design and graphic arts, tourism, photography, cooking, IT, and areas of technology and innovation.


    Business Administration

    If you’ve always wanted to have your own empire, you’ll have to start here. These courses prepare you for adventures in the business world. These courses groom the big names of tomorrow. Is yours among them?

    The Co-Ops you can pursue are:

    • Business Management
    • International Business
    • Human Resources
    • Sports Management
    • Marketing Management
    • Accounting
    • Finance
    • Logistics and Supply Chain Management
    • Office Administration

    Art, Design, and Communications

    If you like computers, have good taste, and are especially detailed and creative, there’s an opportunity for you in the world of art, design, and communication. In these courses, you’ll learn to navigate environments related to design in all its aspects, from digital design to urban planning and ending on the runway. If you think it’s time to see job opportunities parade in front of your eyes (the design sector is one that continues to grow), choose one of these courses to start your career:

    • Interactive Media Management
    • Mobile Application Design & Development
    • Fashion Design
    • Landscape Design
    • Fashion Merchandising
    • GIS and Urban Planning
    • Interior Decorating

    Computer Science

    As we become more connected every day, there is an increasing need for professionals to create more powerful and secure computer systems. If you’re passionate about the world of “Mr. Robot” and dream of working in Google or Apple offices, one of these courses could be your key to Silicon Valley:

    • Cloud Computing for Big Data
    • Computer Software & Database Development
    • Cyber Infrastructure Specialist
    • Cyber Security & Computer Forensics
    • Information Technology Infrastructure
    • Computer Programmer Analyst
    • Computer Systems Technology

    Tourism and Hospitality

    The sector that moves the world and brightens the long days of work and classes for most people. In these courses, you can learn everything related to the world of hospitality and travel. You’ll learn the value of good customer service and excellent management of leisure and recreational establishments.

    The courses you can take are:

    • Hospitality Management
    • Hotel & Resort Management
    • Golf and Recreational Club Management
    • Hospitality Management – Food and Beverage
    • Tourism and Travel

    Want to explore all your study options in Canada?

    Keep reading to find out everything about English, French, and university courses in Canada.

    Studying in Canada

    If you're thinking about living abroad for a while to improve your English, delve deeper into your studies, and perhaps perfect or learn a new skill, we have the destination for you: Canada!

    Studying English

    If you choose to study English in Canada, you'll not only return with a higher level of English but also have opened many doors for your personal and professional future.

    Studying French

    If you're thinking about learning French to broaden your horizons, whether for work or personal reasons, you can achieve your goals in Canada. Keep reading!

    University Studies

    Studying at a university in Canada is an experience that will change your life. Its universities are among the best in the world, thanks to their high educational standards and wide range of programs.

    How much does it cost to study a Co-Op or Career Program in Canada?

    Studying a Co-Op or Career Program in Canada costs between $5,000 CAD and $9,500 CAD per semester.

    The price will vary depending on factors such as the duration of the course, the location of the school, or the specific program you choose.

    Although many of the institutions offering Co-Op courses are public, this does not mean they are free. What it means is that all these schools have the Canadian educational quality seal, which has a worldwide reputation. Furthermore, only if you study at a public college can you apply for the Post Graduation Work Permit after completing your studies.

    If the cost of the course has discouraged you a bit, don’t hesitate to write to us. Schools in Canada often offer financing plans, and at Dingoos, we will help you with all the procedures.

    How do I find a company for my Co-Op internship?

    One of the main advantages of studying in a country with a quality educational system is that they have everything planned and prepared for their students to become the professionals of the future.

    That’s why schools have agreements with companies in the sector that accept Co-Op students as interns each year to do their internships and get to know new talent.

    Other institutions help students prepare and choose a position in a company where they can do their internships.

    However, it’s best to start networking while you’re still studying. Talk to your professors and let them guide you and give you advice on what you can do and where you can look for a job. Each profession is a world, and there’s nothing better than someone who is already working to provide you with the information you need.

    How can Dingoos help you?

    If you want to embark on an adventure and take a Co-Op course in Canada, don’t think twice and write to us.

    At Dingoos, we will take care of all the paperwork for enrollment and the boring procedures that no one wants to do, so you can focus solely on planning your trip calmly and enjoying the scenery.

    Plus, we’ll put you in touch with other Dingoos who share your concerns so you can form a Canadian squad with people from here and there.

    Remember that the services we offer you at Dingoos are a complete package, 100% free, and specially created to ensure you lack nothing on your trip to Canada.

    So, you know, we’ll be waiting for you on the other side of your comfort zone.

    Frequently Asked Questions


    How many hours can I work if I study a vocational course in Canada?

    Studying a vocational course in Canada with a student visa allows you to work part-time during classes (40 hours/week) and full-time (40 hours/week) during internships and vacations.


    What is the highest-paid profession in Canada?

    • Electrical engineering is one of the highest-paid careers in the country, earning between $80,000 and $115,000 annually.
    • Construction Project Manager.
    • Nursing.
    • Pharmaceuticals.
    • Accounting and Financial Advising.
    • Human Resources Management.
    • IT Support and Network Administration.
    • Education.

    How can I study vocational training for free in Canada?

    Scholarships and grants for international students are available at some Canadian institutions for students with excellent grades. The amount and type of grant vary from one institution to another.


    How many vacation days are there in Canada?

    Students in Canada have summer vacations from June to September, Christmas vacations from late December to early January, and the Mid-Winter Break from March 14th to 18th.


    Which days are non-school days in Canada?

    • Labor Day – September 5th.
    • Thanksgiving – October 10th.
    • Christmas – from December 23rd to January 6th (inclusive).
    • Family Day – February 20th.
    • Mid-Winter Break – from March 13th to 17th (inclusive).
    • Good Friday – April 7th.
    • Easter Monday – April 10th.

    How many hours do you study in Canada?

    It varies depending on the course and studies you are pursuing. For international students, the average is 20-25 hours per week.


    How much money do I need to show to go to Canada as a student?

    They may ask you to demonstrate sufficient savings to cover your expenses in Canada (about $833 CAD per month).

    estudiar ingles en canada

    English Courses in Canada

    If one of your goals is to improve your English skills, Canada is the perfect place. Discover all the courses you can choose from.
    portada web e1 t2 podcast

    La Huella

    Dingoos Podcast

    In episode 6 of the second season, Yago Quilez (the podcast host) covers everything you need to know about studying vocational education in Canada. Don't miss it!

    Let's talk! Write to us!

    Contact us, and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

    Imagen Formulario
    ¡Tu mensaje está de camino!
    Un Guía Dingoos lo leerá y te responderá en las próximas 24/48 horas.
    Si pasado este plazo no has recibido un email, recuerda revisar tu carpeta de Spam.

      Acepto recibir comunicaciones de Dingoos

      Updates about going abroad

      Check out our blog and find out everything you need to know about studying and working abroad.

      Best jobs for students in Australia

      One of the best things about studying in Australia is that the Student Visa allows you to work so you can finance your stay. It’s actually quite easy for students to find jobs in Australia.

      Jaime Martín
      3’ de lectura

      Allianz Care Australia: Overseas Student Health Cover

      One of the requirements to get your student visa to travel to Australia is to take out OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) medical insurance for the...

      Jaime Martín
      4’ de lectura
      newsletter dingoos canada

      Don't wait more!

      Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date on everything about Canada.

      ¿Aún no conoces al #DingoosTeam?

      Descubre quienes somos y todo lo que podemos hacer por ti. ¡Te esperamos!

      Más información

      Para garantizar una mejor experiencia de navegación, te aconsejamos que pongas tu móvil de forma vertical.