One of the requirements to get your student visa to travel to Australia is to take out OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) medical insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Australia unless an exception applies. There are several insurers that offer this type of health insurance, Allianz Care Australia, is the most requested by our students.
In this post, you will find all the information about medical insurance for international students from Allianz Care Australia.
What does Allianz Care Australia Overseas Student Health Cover include?
- 100% of the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) fee for medical services rendered in the hospital.
- Accommodation in a shared room of a public hospital for overnight or same-day hospital stays.
- Accommodation in private hospitals (for hospitals that have a contracted rate with the Australian Health Services Alliance).
- Surgically implanted prostheses up to the approved quantity on the Australian prosthetic list.
- Coverage for emergency ambulance transportation to the hospital, for on-site emergency admission and treatment.
Doctors (outside the hospital)
- General Practitioner (GP), including Telehealth: Benefit amount covered as indicated in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS). The amount of the benefit may vary depending on the type of medical service.
Specialists (outside the hospital)
- Allianz Care Australia covers the benefit amount as stated in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS). The amount covered may vary depending on the type of medical service.
- For example, x-rays and blood tests. Allianz Care Australia covers the benefit amount as indicated in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS). The amount covered may vary depending on the type of medical care received.
Allianz Care Australia covers expenses payable that exceed the equivalent of the current Pharmaceutical Benefit Plan (PBS) patient contribution. The patient’s contribution will be:
- Up to $ 50 per approved prescription drug.
- Up to $ 300 each year for singles.
- Up to $ 600 each year for families or couples.
You can only claim the prescription for drugs listed in the Pharmaceutical Benefits Program (PBS) and for items that cost more than the PBS co-payment rate. Visit the Department of Health website to view the complete list of PBS medications and the current co-payment rate.
What does Allianz Care Australia Overseas Student Health Cover exclude?
- Any cost or service associated with dental treatment, physical therapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, naturopaths, or any other ancillary services, unless the services provided meet the requirements of the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
- Medicines, drugs or other treatments not prescribed by a doctor and not included in the PBS.
- Optical expenses.
- The out-of-pocket expense you paid as a result of the provider charging more than the Medicare Benefits Schedule amount.
- Service fees charged by a doctor or hospital that are not included in the benefits covered by your policy.
To learn more about what is not covered, please read the policy document.
How to find a doctor?
Access to healthcare in Australia may be different than in other countries. Here are some tips so that you can ask for the right help depending on the situation.
- Dial triple zero (000) on your phone or go to the emergency department of the nearest public hospital.
Non-life threatening condition
- Visit your GP. You can use the online “Find a Doctor” tool to locate the nearest general practitioner. Simply enter your visa type and location to display all the available options.
- Use Allianz Care Telehealth – powered by Doctors On Demand to speak with a qualified doctor. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, both by phone and video call.
For more information, see the Telehealth Terms and Conditions.
How to claim your health coverage for students abroad?
Direct billing medical network
The easiest way to manage your claims is to choose a direct billing medical provider. This way, your claim will automatically be sent to Allianz Care Australia, and they will pay the medical provider directly.
Non-direct billing medical network
If you receive medical care at a clinic or medical facility that is outside the direct billing medical network, you can pay the bill to the medical provider and then send the bill to Allianz Care Australia to claim their credit. You could also submit the bill and request that Allianz Care Australia pay it directly to the medical provider.
There are several ways to make claims:
- Claim through the Allianz My Health App: installing it on your mobile phone, in addition to being able to send and track your claims, you can also always have your policy at hand, add a dependent child or spouse, access your electronic membership card, update your personal information, find a doctor and access their 24-hour helpline. If you are over 16 years old, you can download the Allianz My Health app from the App Store or Google Play. Once the app is downloaded, you must follow the following steps to make your claim:
- Sign up for an account. Make sure you have their policy number handy.
- Select “Submit claim”.
- Upload photos of invoices and receipts.
- Claim by email: If you prefer, you can also contact the Allianz Care Australia claims team by sending them an email. To do this, you will have to follow the following steps:
- Download the claim form.
- Print and complete the form.
- Scan the entire form and any relevant files you want to attach, for example, medical bills.
Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your policy number in the subject.
How do I contact Allianz Care Australia?
- General inquiries: 13 67 42.
- Claims : 1800 651 349 or 13 67 42
The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm and during summer hours, from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.
- 24/7 emergency line: 1800 814 781
If you have a life-threatening medical emergency, go to the nearest public emergency hospital or call 000 immediately for help.
How much does Allianz Care Australia Overseas Student Health Cover cost?
The cost of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) will depend on its duration and whether you take out an individual, couple or family policy. If you want to request a quote you can do it at this link.
If your intention is to come with a tourist visa or with a Work & Holiday Visa, instead of Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), Allianz Care Australia also offers Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) for foreigners with a tourist or work visa. In this link, you will find more detailed information about this type of health insurance.
As part of the free services we offer at Dingoos if you decide to study in Australia with us, we will help you to contract the mandatory medical insurance for international students. Contact us to start planning your trip.