post graduation work permit

Post Graduation Work Permit in Canada

Working after studying in Canada is possible with the Post Graduation Work Permit.

If you’re exploring your options for obtaining permanent residence in Canada, studying at a public College in Canada is your best bet. This way, you can access a Post-Graduation Work Permit, which allows you to work in Canada after completing your studies and gain more experience in the country to later apply for permanent residence.

Sounds good? Keep reading to discover more about the Post-Graduation Work Permit, its advantages, and how to obtain it, or fill out our contact form to receive personalized guidance from a Dingoos Guide. It’s free!

Do you want information about studying in Canada?

Fill out the form and a Dingoos Guide will contact you as soon as they read your email.

Imagen Formulario
¡Tu mensaje está de camino!
Un Guía Dingoos lo leerá y te responderá en las próximas 24/48 horas.
Si pasado este plazo no has recibido un email, recuerda revisar tu carpeta de Spam.

    Acepto recibir comunicaciones de Dingoos

    What is it and what are the advantages of this visa?

    As mentioned earlier, the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a type of work permit that all international students can obtain after graduating from a government-approved public College anywhere in Canada, and only in the province of Quebec, from some private Colleges.

    With this permit, you can work in companies related to what you have studied, for a period ranging from 8 months to 3 years.

    This is an ideal permit for those who see their future in Canada, as it is a very good way to gain work experience in the country, one of the most important requirements to later apply for permanent residence through the Express Entry program.

    It is important that if you want to study in Canada and obtain this work permit afterward, you consider very carefully which center you will attend for your course, as not all designated learning institutions (DLIs) offer the possibility of obtaining this permit upon completion of your studies. To ensure that you study at a school accredited by the Canadian government, contact Dingoos. We will assign you a Dingoos Guide to discuss your plans and goals. He will help you choose a suitable school and complete all the necessary procedures to obtain your visa and later, your work permit.

    How long does it last and how much does the Post Graduate Work Permit cost?

    With this clear, let’s see all your possibilities:

    • If you study from 8 months to 2 years: Your PGWP will have the same duration as the course completed. For example, if you take a two-year course, your work permit will be for 2 years.
    • If your studies last 2 years or more: You can apply for a 3-year PGWP.
    • If you have studied more than one course, all of them being at least 8 months long: your PGWP will have the same duration as the total of your studies. For example, if you have taken a 1-year course and another one of 8 months, your work permit will be for 1 year and 8 months.

    Processing this permit costs $225 CAD and you will need about 3 months to complete all the procedures. So, plan ahead!

    Requirements to apply for the Post Graduation Work Permit

    The most important requirement to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit is that you have successfully completed your studies at one of the educational institutions designated by the Canadian government. The eligible institutions are:

    • University, technical or trade school anywhere in Canada.
    • University or a CEGEP in Quebec.
    • Private post-secondary institutions operating under the same rules as public schools in Quebec.
    • Private secondary or post-secondary education institutions in Quebec, with programs of 900 hours or more and with which you can later obtain a Professional Diploma (DEP) or a Certificate of Vocational Specialization (ASP).
    • Private schools anywhere in Canada that grant degrees, masters, doctorates, bachelors, or associate degrees, under provincial law (you will have to enroll in one of the programs that allows you to obtain a degree authorized by the province).

    Have you completed your studies at one of these centers? Very well! The rest of the requirements are quite simple:

    • Be in Canada with a valid visa or be outside the country.
    • Have completed an educational program of more than 8 months.
    • Have completed your studies less than 6 months ago.
    • Have been enrolled as a “full-time student” until completing the entire course.
    • Obtain a letter from your educational institution reflecting that you have been enrolled in school and have successfully completed your studies.

    We advise you that if you think finding a suitable school to study and obtain your post-study work permit is mission impossible, contact us. At Dingoos, we know very well that this can be very frustrating and complicated, which is why we have highly trained people who know the Canadian educational offer inside out and who will be more than happy to find your perfect educational match so that you and only you decide how long you will live in Canada.

    Which schools are approved to apply for the Post Graduation Work Permit?

    Continuing with the exciting and extensive world of educational offerings in Canada, the Government has on its website the official list of schools where international students can study, where they are, and if they are eligible to apply later for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Canadian efficiency!

    Life takes many turns and it’s better to be prepared for everything. If you’re not sure whether your relationship with Canada is casual or forever, it’s best to choose a center that leaves all doors open. You’ll have time to decide if you want to stay in Canada between snow excursions and hockey games.

    If you want to avoid all worries, get in touch with us. Our Dingoos Guides will get to know the details of your story and set up scenarios in the form of assigned schools, tailor-made courses, and handling all the paperwork. Thus, you will only have to decide if you want your adventure in Canada to last forever.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    When can you apply for this permit?

    Timings are very important to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.

    • From when you finish your studies, you have 90 days (3 months) to obtain a letter from your school confirming that you have successfully completed your studies.
    • From when you receive that letter, you have 180 days (6 months) to submit the PGWP application.

    Who can apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit?

    Anyone who has completed an educational program of at least 8 months in duration at one of the designated learning institutions (DLIs) in the last 6 months.

    How much does the Post Graduate Work Permit cost?

    The processing fees for the Post-Graduation Work Permit cost $255 CAD.

    Can I stay in Canada after the Post Graduate Work Permit?

    Yes, the Post-Graduation Work Permit is the perfect next step for those who want to stay in Canada after completing their studies or with future plans.

    If your goal is to settle in Canada, you will have to gradually build your permanent residence.

    And that’s exactly what you do with a Post-Graduation Work Permit: you can live longer in Canada, accumulate work experience on your resume, and improve your English much more, essential requirements to apply for an Express Entry visa and later,

    How can I apply for the post graduation Work Permit for Canada?

    You can begin the application for your Post Graduate Visa for Canada through this link on the Canadian immigration government page.

    ¿Aún no conoces al #DingoosTeam?

    Descubre quienes somos y todo lo que podemos hacer por ti. ¡Te esperamos!

    Más información

    Para garantizar una mejor experiencia de navegación, te aconsejamos que pongas tu móvil de forma vertical.