Visado work and holiday para Australia

Work and Holiday Visa for Australia

Do you want to come to Australia with the Work and Holiday Visa and don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, Dingoos is here to help you! You’re about to clear up all your doubts once and for all.

Welcome to the complete and definitive guide on the Work and Holiday Visa for Australia!

We’ll tell you everything you need to know in a useful and entertaining way: what the visa entails, all the documentation you need to submit, the correct way to do it, and some tips to ensure your application goes smoothly and takes you straight to the airport.

And don’t forget to check out Dingoos’ Work & Holiday Visa Welcome Package. A package specially created for those planning to come to Australia with this visa, including many exclusive advantages to enhance your experience even more.
Let’s dive in!

What is the W&H Visa?

The Work and Holiday Visa is a type of visa that allows you to travel and work in Australia for one year. Yes, you read it right!

There are two types of working holiday visas:

  • Visa 462 (Work and Holiday) is for countries like Spain, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Uruguay…
  • Visa 417 (Working Holiday) for many European countries.

In this guide, we’ll focus on visa 462, although there are many similarities between the two.

Want to know more about the Work & Holiday Visa in Australia? Keep reading or fill out the form below for personalized guidance from a Dingoos Guide.

Know our W&H Welcome Package?

Fill out the form, and a Dingoos Guide will contact you personally.

Imagen Formulario
¡Tu mensaje está de camino!
Un Guía Dingoos lo leerá y te responderá en las próximas 24/48 horas.
Si pasado este plazo no has recibido un email, recuerda revisar tu carpeta de Spam.

    Acepto recibir comunicaciones de Dingoos

    Work & Holiday Visa application dates

    The application period opens every July 1st. So, stay tuned because Australia offers a limited number of W&H visas for each nationality, and the application period always opens on that day!

    Which countries can apply for the W&H Visa?

    Icono tipos de visado

    Countries with limited Work & Holiday Visa numbers

    You can apply for the Work and Holiday Visa 462 if you have a passport from any of these countries:



    • Spain
    • Portugal
    • Czech Republic
    • Austria
    • Slovenia
    • Hungary
    • Luxembourg
    • Poland
    • Slovak Republic
    • San Marino
    • Turkey
    • Greece

    South America

    • Argentina
    • Chile
    • Peru
    • Uruguay
    • Ecuador

    Other countries

    • United States of America
    • People’s Republic of China
    • Indonesia
    • Israel
    • Malaysia
    • Singapore
    • Thailand
    • China
    • Vietnam

    What can you do with the Work and Holiday Visa?

    • Live in Australia for a year, working and traveling, extendable to two years if you work for more than three months in northern Australia in a job related to tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry, or fishing.
    • Once granted, you have 12 months to enter the country.
    • It’s like the first kiss: you can only get it once. So make the most of it and live it intensely!
    • You can work for six months with the same employer.
    • You can study for a maximum of 4 months.
    • Don’t worry; you can go home for Christmas. During the visa period, you can enter and leave Australia as many times as you want.

    Requirements to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa


    General Requirements

    • The first requirement is age: to apply, you must be between 18 and 30 years old. However, since 2016, there’s a rumor that the age limit may be extended to 35. For now, it’s still a rumor, but we’ll keep you informed.
    • Have a purchased return ticket to your country or at least have enough money to buy it.
    • Don’t bring children on your adventure in Australia.
    • Pay the $640 AUD visa application fee.

    Nivel de inglés

    If it’s your first time applying for the Work & Holiday Visa, you must demonstrate at least a functional level of English.

    “How do I do this?” you might be wondering. Keep reading because there are as many answers as possibilities.

    Note! If you don’t have sufficient English proficiency or if you specifically want to improve your English, you can always come to Australia with the Student Visa.

    You have sufficient English proficiency if…

    You are a citizen or have a passport from any of these countries:

    • United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland.

    You have passed or will pass one of these specific language proficiency tests within the specified time frames:

    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Demonstrate an average band score of at least 4.5 points for all four test components (speaking, reading, listening, and writing) completed within the 12 months before applying for the visa.
    • Occupational English Test (OET): Completed within the 12 months before visa application.
    • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic): Achieve a minimum overall score of 30 points for all four test components (speaking, reading, writing, and listening) within 12 months of applying for the visa.
    • Cambridge English Advanced (CAE): Achieve at least 147 points in total for all four test components (speaking, reading, writing, and listening). Also, the test must have been taken within the 12 months before applying for the visa.

    Or if you are in any of these situations:

    • You have successfully completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary school in an institution where all instruction was in English.
    • You have completed at least five years of secondary education (high school) in an educational institution where all instruction was in English.
    • You have a post-secondary qualification of at least two years of full-time study where all classes were conducted in English.
    • You have completed at least one year of full-time or equivalent study and obtained a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma at an Australian institution where all instruction was in English.
    • You have successfully passed an English Bagrut exam at the three-unit level (this only applies to Israeli applicants).

    Higher Education

    In this matter, each country has its own requirements. Depending on where you come from, you’ll be asked for different education requirements. In the following table, we compile them all.

    tabla work and holiday visa


    Personal Documentation

    Later, we’ll detail step by step all the documentation you need to provide. But as a preview and as highlights, you’ll need to attach a notarized copy of your passport (you can notarize it at the police station, for example), your birth certificate (with international copy), and two passport photos.


    Government Support Letter

    If it’s your first time applying for the Work & Holiday Visa, and depending on your nationality, you may need to attach a government support letter from your country to your application. Note that this letter does not guarantee you a place 100%.

    You can contact the relevant agency in your country to obtain a government support letter:

    • Czech Republic: You must obtain a letter of introduction from your educational institution at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic.
    • Ecuador
    • Greece
    • Hungary: Ministry of Interior (Department of European Cooperation)
    • Indonesia
    • Luxembourg: National Youth Service
    • Malaysia
    • Peru: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    • Poland: Ministry of Labor and Social Policy
    • San Marino: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    • Slovak Republic: Ministry of Interior
    • Slovenia: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    • Thailand
    • Turkey: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    • Uruguay: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    • Vietnam

    You do not need a letter of support to obtain your Work and Holiday Visa 462 if you are from these countries:

    • Argentina
    • Austria
    • Chile
    • Israel
    • People’s Republic of China
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    • Singapore
    • United States

    Show that you have sufficient financial funds

    To do this, you must attach to the application a statement from your bank account indicating that you have at least the equivalent in your country’s currency of $5,000 AUD, and also the equivalent for round-trip airfares if you haven’t bought them yet.

    How to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa?

    It depends on whether in your home country the application for the Work and Holiday Visa is submitted online or by postal mail.

    Icono laptop

    Online application

    Until recently, all eligible countries had to send their applications by postal mail, but starting from July 1, 2018, all visa 462 applications, except for those from the People’s Republic of China, must be submitted online through ImmiAccount.

    • If you are from the People’s Republic of China, you will need to apply for the Work & Holiday Visa 462 in person; here is all the information.
    Icono documento

    Document requirements

    • We have gathered all the necessary documentation for you to check at a glance.

    We recommend that you copy and paste this small list into a document and mark off what you already have and what you still need.

    Step by step, you will gather all the necessary documentation to apply for your Work and Holiday Visa.

    • A certified copy of your passport (in the case of Spain, this can be done at the National Police).
    • 2 passport photos (with your name written on the back only if applying by postal mail).
    • Copy of your English certificate.
    • Copy of your higher education degree or certificate of grades if you don’t have the degree yet.
    • Your government support letter.
    • The fully completed form 1028 (below we give you some tips for filling it out correctly).
    • Copy of your bank account with an amount equivalent to $5,000 AUD.
    • Copy of round-trip airline tickets (only if you have them. If you haven’t bought them yet, provide evidence that you can pay for them with an amount equivalent to the price of the airline tickets in your bank account).

    How to fill out the form?

    Whether you belong to countries that can submit the application online or not, you will have to fill out form 1028 and include it among all the documentation you need to submit.

    Let’s look at some points of form 1028 that may be confusing to help clear up any doubts you may have.

    Remember that even if you submit it online, you can fill out the form on a computer or by hand. If you decide to print and fill it out by hand, use a blue or black pen and write in uppercase.


    Part A

    Your personal details: In the first boxes, you will have to fill in your details as they appear on your passport.

    There are some fields where you may not know exactly what to put, such as…

    • Usual occupation: What is your occupation? Are you a student or have you worked as an economist? Indicate it here.
    • What type of employment…: You probably don’t know what job you will have, but put something general like “Agriculture” or “Hospitality.”
    • Qualifications: Don’t worry, you don’t have to list all your grades; it means you should list the titles obtained. Your degree, vocational training, or master’s degree.

    Part B

    Here they ask for the details of your previous visas if you have been in Australia. If you haven’t been or applied for a visa, you will have to indicate “No” in points 22 and 23 and go straight to Part C.


    Part C

    In box 28, you will have to list the places where you have lived for more than three months, not the places you have visited. For example, if you were on Erasmus for six months in Italy, indicate it.

    The rest are questions about your health and intentions to use the Australian health system. You know, the only thing to consider when answering is to do it with common sense.


    Part D

    This part is about your criminal record and related issues.


    Part E

    This part refers to whether you have an agency processing your visa. If not, answer “No” at point 38 and skip to Part F.


    Part F

    Here they ask who they should contact. In principle, if you don’t have a manager, communication will be directly with you.


    Part G

    We enter the payment zone. To get the amounts, you will have to look for them here. In principle, you will only have to fill out the visa you are applying for (Visa subclass: 462) and the “Application charge” base. The fee you will have to pay will likely be $640 AUD.

    Bienvenida para Work and Holiday

    Need help applying for your W&H visa?

    Take advantage of our W&H Welcome Package service.

    If you are thinking of traveling with the Work and Holiday visa, we offer you an all-in-one package at a spectacular price that includes a lot of services that no one else will offer you. We even help you with the visa application!

    Tips for getting the Work and Holiday Visa

    Try to have everything ready for when the call is made, so you can “submit” it as soon as possible. As soon as you receive the government letter, you can send all the documentation.

    Before submitting the support letter (ideally on July 1 at 00:01), make sure you have installed the digital certificate on your computer or have a valid electronic ID with the reader correctly configured.

    If you have used your parents’ card to pay the visa fees, it is also advisable to send a photocopy of your birth certificate or family book.

    Healthcare costs in Australia are very high; therefore, we recommend that you consider traveling with travel insurance. There are more reasons to purchase travel insurance.

    Up to 3 years of Work and Holiday Visa Australia

    People enjoying a Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) can extend their visa to stay in Australia for a total of three years.

    To renew your Work and Holiday visa to stay in Australia for a second year, you must have carried out specific work in certain areas of Australia for at least three months within your first year of Work and Holiday.

    Later, you can renew your visa to stay in Australia for a third year, provided that in your second year of Work and Holiday, you have worked for at least six months in a specific job and area of Australia, providing any of these documents to prove it.

    In addition to meeting these requirements, you cannot be over 30 years old at the time of applying for both renewals, and you will also have to pay the visa fees again, both in the first renewal and in the second.

    Above all, don't be disappointed.

    Don’t panic! If you don’t meet any of the visa requirements or if you are not granted one because the number of visas available has run out, you always have a Plan B that, in many ways, is a better option than Work and Holiday. This is the student visa, which also allows you to work in Australia.

    At Dingoos, we can help you with the processing of your visa as well as other paperwork. Also, as soon as you arrive in Australia, you will feel super integrated because at Dingoos, we form a great family. Visit us on social media to get an idea and subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to know the latest!

    If you want more information about this visa, do not hesitate to contact us.

    Frequently Asked Questions about the Work and Holiday Visa

    Can I work with the same employer for more than six months?

    Yes, they just want you to change locations. Therefore, you can work for the same company as long as you change locations, and the company requests it from immigration. If you are going to work as an au pair, you could stay longer with the same family, provided that immigration grants permission. Keep in mind that with the student visa, you can work throughout your stay with the same employer.

    Can I stay more than one year in Australia?

    In principle, you would have to apply for another type of visa to stay longer in Australia (for example, the student visa). However, if you have worked in northern Australia in tourism, hospitality, agriculture, or fishing, you could apply for a second Work and Holiday Visa.

    Does it work if I present a bank account from a family member?

    In principle, yes, but in that case, you will have to justify the relationship by providing a copy of the family book or birth certificate.

    How many spots are available for my country?

    You can visit the Australian Government’s page to check the available spots for the Work & Holiday visa for your country.

    ¿Aún no conoces al #DingoosTeam?

    Descubre quienes somos y todo lo que podemos hacer por ti. ¡Te esperamos!

    Más información

    Para garantizar una mejor experiencia de navegación, te aconsejamos que pongas tu móvil de forma vertical.