Types of visas for Canada

No matter what you come to Canada to do, you will need a visa.

tipos de visados canada

If you’re thinking about coming to work and study in Canada, you’ve come to the right page. At Dingoos, we are Canada experts and have created a series of services to help you choose the type of visa that best suits the experience you want to have. Once chosen, we will take care of all the procedures and arrangements so that one day, almost without realizing it, you wake up in Canada.

So that you know what your options are when we talk, we are going to look at all the types of visas with which you can live in Canada for a season and to which you can apply according to your plans.

What is a visa and why do you need it?

A visa is a document issued by a foreign country that authorizes you to enter that country. Each visa will have specific characteristics depending on the time and purpose of entry into the country.

At Dingoos, we are experts in Canadian visas. Therefore, we are going to tell you about the most commonly used types of visas to study, work, and live in Canada. Additionally, you can contact us to expand information or ask us any questions you may have. A Dingoos Guide will advise you on your best visa option to travel to Canada based on your interests and goals.

Visado de turista

With a tourist visa, you can enter Canada for maximum periods of 6 months if your objective is simply to travel around Canada or visit family and friends, and in the case of ETA, it also allows studying for a maximum period of 6 months.

The tourist visa does not allow you to work legally in the country. And be careful because they are quite strict about this issue, and the sanctions are harsh.


Types of tourist visa

There are two types of tourist visas:

  • Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa): For people with Colombian, Argentine, or Peruvian passports.
    • It can be requested both physically and online
    • It is also requested when making stops in Canadian territory
    • Valid for a maximum of 6 months
    • Fee: $100 CAD
  • ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization): For people with Spanish, Mexican, or Chilean passports.
    • It is requested online
    • It lasts 5 years and allows staying in the country for maximum periods of 6 months
    • Allows studying courses in Canada for less than 6 months
    • Price: $7 CAD

Requirements to apply for a tourist visa

  • A valid passport for at least one more year.
  • Being healthy. They may ask you to provide some medical tests certifying that you are in good health.
  • Demonstrate to immigration that your purpose in Canada is purely tourist and that you plan to return home when your visa expires. To do this, you will have to provide information about your work, academic, or family responsibilities, and a departure flight from the country.
  • No criminal problems or convictions.
  • Demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your travel expenses. This will vary depending on the time and places you plan to visit.
  • Pay the visa fees. As we have seen before, the price ranges from $7 CAD to $100 CAD.

On the other hand, you have to bear in mind that, even if you meet all the requirements, an immigration officer may consider you unsuitable for the tourist visa if they find any economic, health, or security problems.

Finally, if you want to extend your stay as a tourist in Canada, you can apply for an extension of your visa: the Visit Report. It is requested at least 30 days before your Visitor Visa expires and from within Canada. The duration of the Visit Report is variable and decided by the Department of Immigration.

Student visa

Although we refer to it as a Student Visa, in Canada it is called a Study Permit. It is a permit that must be applied for along with the relevant tourist visa, and it allows you to study courses in Canada that last for more than 6 months.

As we have seen before, if your intention is to study a course of shorter duration, you can do so by applying for an eTA.

The Study Permit has the same duration as the course you have chosen to study in Canada. With this permit, you can also work part-time during the course (20 hours per week) and full-time (40 hours per week) during vacation periods. If you are only studying a language course, you are not allowed to work.


Requirements for applying for a student visa

To apply for a student visa, you must gather a series of papers, certificates, and documents that you must present to the Canadian immigration department.

  • Being enrolled in a course at one of the accredited institutions. To choose where to study in Canada, you can consult the government list or contact us, and we will propose accredited centers where you can study.
  • A letter of acceptance from the institution certifying that you are enrolled and the duration of the course.
  • A valid passport with a minimum validity of 6 months.
  • Two recent passport-sized photos with your name and date of birth written on the back.
  • Certify that you have $883 CAD for each month of the course in which you have enrolled.
  • Good health and willingness to take a medical exam.
  • An official document issued by the police certifying that you have no criminal record in your country of origin.
  • English or French proficiency proof. If you come to pursue a university degree or other higher education, you must demonstrate that you speak one of the two official languages fluently.
  • A letter of motivation explaining why you are going to study in Canada and what you want to learn in the course you have chosen.
  • If you are going to study within the province of Quebec, you will have to request an acceptance letter from the provincial government of Quebec.
  • Pay visa fees ($150 CAD).

Normally, the student visa or Study Permit is requested online before traveling to Canada, although in some cases, it is also possible to apply from within the country.

If after reading this list, you feel a little overwhelmed, our number one requirement is that you contact us. At Dingoos, we are experts in everything related to coming to study in Canada.

Our Dingoos Guides will help you choose what you want to study, in which city and school, and once you know what you want, they will help you with enrollment in the chosen course and school.

Once enrolled, you can apply for your student visa. From here, you will have two options: take advantage of our free assistance service in collecting documentation and applying for a student visa offered by our Department of Visa Experts for Canada, or be referred to an immigration lawyer to process your visa application. Whatever you prefer!

And it doesn’t end here! The Integration Department will also help you plan, organize, and book everything you need to start your adventure in Canada, and once here, they will accompany you to carry out the first procedures, such as obtaining a SIM card, tips for finding an apartment… so that your arrival and stay in Canada are unforgettable from the beginning.


Courses you can take with this visa for Canada

With the student visa, you can study a wide variety of courses in one of the best educational systems in the world in Canada. Keep reading to discover some of the options that you can proudly put on your CV and that will open the door to many good job opportunities in the future.

  • English or French courses. Improve your level in English or French, two of the most spoken languages worldwide, which will allow you to travel and work with greater confidence. There are general English courses and those focused on obtaining a qualification.
  • Professional training. Here, you can choose to study a Diploma or Certificate with or without Co-op. These courses are focused on teaching you everything related to a profession or trade and to make you ready to join the labor market. Although in Canada, you can work part-time while you study, if you enroll in a Co-op course (courses that combine theoretical and practical parts), you will have the opportunity to work full-time during the practice periods. This is an excellent option to gain some work experience in the field you have chosen to study and earn some legal money, as these practices are usually paid.
  • Undergraduate and Graduate degrees. This is the most expensive option but also one of the most prestigious that can provide you with more job opportunities in the future. Year after year, Canada tops the rankings of countries with the best universities worldwide, and it is for a reason! Having a degree awarded by a Canadian university is highly valued and will make your CV a winner. If you want to have this badge on your CV, we recommend that you go for it and take a Bachelor’s degree at one of Canada’s globally recognized universities.

Student visa for partners

If you come to study in Canada and are married, your partner can apply for an open work permit, which will allow them to work full-time while you complete your studies. Sounds good, right? Let’s see what types of studies you can take so that your partner can get an open work permit and work full-time.

  • Be enrolled in a public college, university or CEGEP in Quebec.
  • Be enrolled in a private university in Quebec.
  • Be enrolled in an official Canadian institution that grants bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degrees.

Note that if you have come to study English, you cannot apply for this type of work permit for your partner.

The processing of the open work permit has a fee of CAD 550.

Looking for a visa to study in Canada?

Contact us, and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you as soon as possible :)

Imagen Formulario
¡Tu mensaje está de camino!
Un Guía Dingoos lo leerá y te responderá en las próximas 24/48 horas.
Si pasado este plazo no has recibido un email, recuerda revisar tu carpeta de Spam.

    Acepto recibir comunicaciones de Dingoos

    Work and Holiday Visa

    Difficult to obtain and with very good conditions and only once in a lifetime, that is the combination that makes Canada’s Working Holiday Visa one of the most attractive visas for travelers worldwide, and year after year, it sells out within hours of release.

    With the Working Holiday Visa, you can live, work, and travel through Canada for a maximum of 2 years. Additionally, you can study and work part-time for a period of 6 months.

    If your intention is to work full-time, upon arriving in Canada, you will have to apply for one of the work permits offered by the Canadian government. We recommend that you apply for an Open Work Permit, which will allow you to work throughout Canada and for any company.


    Requirements to apply for the work and holiday visa in Canada

    As with any other visa application process for Canada, you will need to be prepared to gather official papers and documents. To make it easier for you, we have created this list with all the requirements.

    Before starting with the paperwork, we recommend that you make sure you have a passport from one of the 35 countries that can apply for the Working Holiday Visa. The Spanish-speaking countries on this list are Spain, Chile, and Costa Rica.

    Are you in? Perfect, let’s see what you need:

    • Create a profile on the Immigration website to be evaluated by the Canadian government. If your application is accepted, you can start the application process.
    • Have a valid passport with a validity equal to the total time of your stay in Canada.
    • Be between 18 and 35 years old at the time of applying for the visa.
    • Demonstrate that you have $2500 CAD in your bank account to cover your initial expenses in Canada.
    • Contract a medical insurance that covers your entire stay in Canada.
    • Demonstrate that you have no dependents.
    • Have an updated CV and a Canadian-style one.
    • Demonstrate that you have no criminal record.
    • A color passport-sized photo.
    • Pay the visa fees ($155 CAD).
    • Provide your biometric data upon arrival in Canada. It may sound SCI FI, but it is simply your fingerprints and photograph, and you can do it once you arrive in Canada at one of the Immigration Department offices.

    Have you gathered everything? Keep in mind that, even if you are fast and have everything in order, to get a Work and Holiday visa you will also need luck on your side, as there are only 800 spots for Spain, 725 for Chile, and 80 spots for Costa Rica.


    W&H Welcome Package

    If you are lucky enough to get your Work and Holiday Visa… congrats! After so much stress and so many arrangements to make, you deserve to arrive in Canada and not have to worry about anything else. That’s why if you want a big welcome, write to us. At Dingoos, we take care of making your arrival in Canada as easy as possible with our Work and Holiday Welcome Pack. With this pack, you will have access to all the advantages of being part of the #DingoosFamily, including airport pickup and assistance with the first procedures in Canada, such as opening your bank account and getting your SIM card.

    And if you don’t get a Work and Holiday visa or don’t meet some of your requirements but still want to live the experience of your life in Canada, write to us! There are many ways to come to Canada, and at Dingoos, we know them all. Contact us and we will inform you of all your options, such as the student visa, which also allows you to work in Canada, and we will take care of all the procedures for you for free so that you don’t have to worry about anything this time.

    Permits to extend your stay in Canada

    Your visa is expiring, but your life in Canada… doesn’t have to! In Canada, there are various plans to welcome international workers, and we are sure that you will be able to find a permit to extend your stay in Canada for some time or to obtain permanent residency in Canada.

    There are two permits that may suit you, depending on whether you have been studying or working (or both) in Canada.


    Post Graduation Work Permit

    If you have studied in Canada at an accredited institution such as a public college, you can easily access the Post Graduation Work Permit. With this visa, you can stay and work in Canada for 8 months to 2 years or more (the visa has the same duration as the course you studied).

    Its main advantages are that you can work for any company without a limit on hours and gain work experience in one of the most prosperous markets in the world… which translates into good salaries.

    Additionally, with this visa, you can accumulate work experience in Canada, which is one of the requirements to obtain permanent residency in the country.

    Requirements to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit:

    • Studied at an accredited educational institution that allows you to apply for this type of permit after completing your studies.
    • Successfully completed a program of more than 8 months in duration that is not language-related.
    • Stayed in Canada at all times with a legal study and/or work permit and a valid visa.
    • Obtained a certified letter from the school confirming that you were enrolled and completed your studies successfully.
    • Applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit for the first time (it is only granted once in a lifetime).
    • Paying the processing fees ($225 CAD).

    There are some exceptions and additional requirements. Read our article on Post-Graduation Work Permits to learn everything you need to know.


    Open Work Permit

    As we mentioned before, with an Open Work Permit, you can work anywhere in Canada for any Canadian company, full-time.

    This is the permit you’ll need to request to work during your Working Holiday Visa or the work permit that your partner can obtain if you have a Study Permit, remember?

    Requirements to apply for an Open Work Permit:

    It’s best to apply for an Open Work Permit once you’re in Canada. If you apply from outside the country, you’ll need to make some extra efforts, such as providing biometric exams and going through a visa approval verification process.

    To apply for an Open Work Permit, you’ll need to complete a series of common requirements and other specific ones that will vary depending on each visa.

    The common requirements are:

    • Prove that you have enough money to cover your expenses in Canada.
    • Have no criminal charges or be a threat to the country’s security.
    • Demonstrate that you will leave the country once your work permit expires.
    • Certify that you are in good health.
    • Have a job offer from a Canadian employer or company.

    We know it may sound a bit confusing and there’s a lot of information to digest, so once again, if you need to clarify anything or talk about your specific case, contact Dingoos. Our guides will be happy to help you speed up the bureaucratic procedures.

    Do you want to know more about Canada?

    Keep reading and discover everything you need to know about studying, living, and working in Canada.


    We want you to get to know Canada. That's why we'll tell you about its main characteristics, how its cities are, and some curious facts about the country that will leave you speechless. Let's go Canada!

    Studying in Canada

    If you're thinking about living abroad for a while to improve your English, deepen your studies, and perhaps perfect or learn a skill while experiencing life outside your comfort zone, we have the destination for you: Canada!

    Living in Canada

    Canada is one of the countries with the best quality of life in the world. Its landscapes will leave you speechless, and the closeness of its people, known worldwide, will draw a smile on your face that will be difficult to erase during your stay in the country. Are you ready to live the Canadian dream?

    Working in Canada:

    Canada enjoys a very prosperous economy and a growing job market that have made it the perfect country to go to work for a while, whether you want to develop professionally or simply find a job to cover your expenses while you study.

    Programs to immigrate to Canada

    If you’re serious about making Canada your home for the rest of your life, you might want to consider applying for permanent residency. In Canada, this process is not reserved for just a few… well, yes, it is reserved for anyone who has something to contribute to Canada through their work and who helps keep this country one of the most prosperous in the world.

    As always, there’s a lot of paperwork to be done, but nothing that a little time (and a good Dingoos guide) can’t help you process.

    To get started, you should know that the Canadian government has created Express Entry, a program that welcomes international workers who want to live and work in Canada.

    Through an online visa system, Express Entry manages applications from international workers, dividing applications into three categories based on the applicants’ education, work experience, and profile.

    Want to know which category you could fit into? Let’s find out!


    Federal Skilled Worker Program

    Qualified foreign professionals can apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

    The basic requirements you must meet are:

    • A degree equivalent to a university degree in Canada.
    • Have at least 1 year of work experience (1560 hours if you worked part-time) within your university studies’ field.
    • An English certificate proving that you have a high level of English or French.
    • Other requirements that may be requested are demonstrating that you have sufficient savings for your stay in Canada or a medical check-up.

    Federal Skilled Trades Program

    If you have demonstrated work experience in a trade (carpenter, miner, bricklayer, etc.), you can apply to the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

    The minimum requirements to apply for this visa are:

    • Have at least 2 years of work experience in your trade. This is a total of 3120 hours if you have been working part-time.
    • Present a high level of English or French certificate.
    • Have a full-time job offer for 1 year.
    • If you have a degree or diploma certifying your education, present it. It is not mandatory, but it will earn you extra points.
    • You may be asked to demonstrate that you have money to support yourself in Canada or provide additional documents.

    Canadian Experience Class

    If you are an international worker who has been living or currently resides in Canada and also has work experience within the country, you can apply for the Canadian Experience Class.

    The minimum requirements to apply for this type of visa are:

    • Have at least 1 year of work experience in Canada within the last 3 years. If you have been working part-time, the total hours should be equivalent to the hours accumulated by working full-time (1560 h).
    • Work experience must have been legally obtained through a visa that allows you to work in Canada, with a work permit and a job contract.
    • Certify that you have a high level of English or French.
    • It is not essential to present a degree, but if you have one, you can present it because it will earn you points.

    If you have come to Canada for the long run, you can start taking all your steps to get this visa.

    For example, you can start studying with a Study Permit, apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit once you complete your studies to accumulate work experience within Canada, and then… apply for the Canadian Experience Class and thus obtain permanent residency in the country. Sounds good?

    Frequently asked questions

    If you have made it this far, you must have many questions. There are many visas, permits, and different options. Therefore, we are going to do a small question and answer section below to answer all the questions that may have arisen.


    Do I need a visa to visit Canada?

    Yes. You can choose between tourist, student, or work visas, but obtaining a visa to enter the country is essential.


    Do I need to show proof of financial support to apply for a visa to Canada?

    Yes, although not for all visas. Contact us at Dingoos, and we will help you choose the visa that best suits your profile and needs.


    If I don't know English, can I work in Canada?

    To work in Canada, the first thing you need is a visa that allows you to work in the country.

    If your visa allows you to work, you’re already halfway there! Speaking English is important to find a job, but attitude is even more critical. If you are proactive and eager, you will find a job soon, and little by little, you will improve your English.


    Is Canada a bilingual country?

    In Canada, due to its colonial past, English and French coexist as the country’s primary languages, which is why all public services and most of the population are bilingual.

    That being said, the only bilingual province in Canada is New Brunswick. In Quebec, the official language is French, and in the rest of the country, it’s English.


    Will I learn English?

    Up to you! At Dingoos, we can assure you that you will study at a good school that fits your budget and plans in Canada. We can also help you find a job and an apartment, but when it comes down to it, learning English is entirely up to you.

    If you work hard in class and surround yourself with a group of international friends, you will learn better English and more quickly.


    Can I do internships while studying?

    If you want to combine work and study, your best option is to choose a Co-op course.

    These are vocational courses that combine a block of theory with a block of practical training. During the theory portion, you can work part-time, and during the practical training portion, you can work full-time in something related to your studies.


    Can I work in Canada with a tourist visa? What about a student visa?

    You cannot work in Canada with a tourist visa.

    You cannot work with a student visa if you come to study an English language course.

    However, if you come to study something other than English, you can work part-time during the school year and full-time during the holidays.


    Can I study in Canada with a tourist visa?

    Yes, as long as the course has a maximum duration of six months. But remember, with this visa, you cannot work legally.


    How can I apply for the Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV)?

    You can apply for it online through this link.


    How can I apply for the ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization) tourist visa?

    You can apply for it online through this link.


    How do I apply for a Study Permit for Canada?

    The Study Permit is applied for online through the Canadian immigration government page. Write to us, and our Visa Experts Department will help you gather all the necessary documentation and also assist you throughout the application process. If you prefer, we can also put you in touch with an immigration lawyer to apply for your Study Permit for Canada. It’s up to you!


    What do I need to apply for the International Experience Canada program?

    If you want to travel to Canada through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program, you will have to meet some requirements, such as being between 18 and 35 years old, providing your biometric data, or demonstrating that you have sufficient financial funds ($2,500 CAD) for your first few weeks in Canada, among others. Visit our Work and Holiday Visa page or write to us to receive personalized advice from a Dingoos Guide.


    How to know if I am eligible to apply for Express Entry for Canada?

    To be eligible for the Express Entry program, you must have at least two years of proven full-time work experience (or an equivalent amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled occupation within the five years prior to the application.


    What is an Open Work Permit?

    The Open Work Permit in Canada is a type of work permit that allows a person to work for any employer for a specific period of time. Contact us and receive free advice from a Dingoos Guide to answer all your doubts.

    How does Dingoos help you?

    Now that you have an overview of all the visas that will allow you to start your adventure in Canada, do you know which one suits you best?

    Perhaps this part is the most difficult, especially because we already know how stressful and complicated everything related to new bureaucratic procedures can be.

    Fortunately, for us, it’s nothing new! At Dingoos, we are experts in all matters related to successfully processing visas and tracking Canada’s educational offerings to find the perfect course for you and to make your stay in Canada one you won’t easily forget.

    Shall we go to Canada together? 🙂

    Do you want to know the visas available to travel to other countries?

    Keep reading and discover the main types of visas to travel to Australia, Ireland, Malta, and the United Kingdom.

    Types of visas in Australia

    At Dingoos, we are experts in Australia and we will accompany you at every step to help you decide which visa suits you best. And once you are clear, we will help you with all the procedures so that obtaining it is so easy that you won't even notice.

    Types of visas in Ireland

    With a European passport, you will not need a visa to study and work in Ireland. If you are from Latin America, specific requirements for your nationality will apply. Whatever your case, at Dingoos we will help you with the necessary procedures.

    Types of visas in Malta

    There are different types of visas that allow studying and working in Malta, depending on your nationality and duration of stay. At Dingoos, we advise and help you to carry out all the procedures and formalities in a 100% free and personalized way.

    Types of visas in the United Kingdom

    Since Brexit, if you want to study in the UK, you need a visa. Fortunately, at Dingoos, we have already done our homework and caught up to be able to advise and help you choose the best way to achieve your goal of studying in the United Kingdom. And completely free of charge!

    ¿Aún no conoces al #DingoosTeam?

    Descubre quienes somos y todo lo que podemos hacer por ti. ¡Te esperamos!

    Más información

    Para garantizar una mejor experiencia de navegación, te aconsejamos que pongas tu móvil de forma vertical.