work and holiday visa canada

Work and Holiday Visa for Canada

The most famous visa to come to Canada is without a doubt the Work and Holiday Visa. Desired by many and achieved by few, this visa allows you work, study and travel in Canada for one year.

Discover with us everything about the most popular visa: its advantages, how to get it, how to present the documentation in time for your application to be approved and, in short, everything you need to know so that this is the year in which you pack your bags and go to Canada.

And if you want come with everything to Canada, take a look at ourDingoos W&H Visa Welcome Package, a pack specially designed for you with a lot of exclusive benefits and opportunities that will make your arrival and stay in Canada a out of this world. 

Yes now. Ready? Go!

What is the Work and Holiday Visa?

La Work and Holiday Visa is the visa for Canada allowing work, study and travel the country for a year. 

It is within a program that the Canadian government has called International Experience Canada and it is for young people between 18 to 35 years, places are limited, not all nationalities can apply for it and it can only be requested once in a lifetime. Tempting, right?

Work & Holiday Visa application dates

El registration period for the Work and Holiday Visa opens once a year, usually between August and september. If you want to request it, you will have to be refreshing the Canada immigration page to know when the deadline has opened.

Which countries can apply for the W&H Visa?

The game starts! As we already told you, not all nationalities can apply and places are limited.

To this day, the only Spanish-speaking countries Those that the Canadian government allows to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa are: Spain, Chile and Costa Rica.

If you are lucky enough to have a passport from one of these countries, we recommend that you go to collect all documents as soon as possible and start preparing your application for registration as soon as the deadline opens. And no, we are not being dramatic. There is a certain myth around the Work and Holiday Visa that makes many sign up to apply for this visa that is assigned by lottery.

And if, on the other hand, you don't have any of those passports or you didn't get your place, nothing happens! There are many other ways to come to study and work in Canada and at Dingoos we are delighted to see them with you and advise you to choose the one that best suits your goals. Get in touch!

What can I do with the Work and Holiday Visa?

That everyone wants the Work and Holiday Visa it's not by chance.

  • If your goal is to study and work: It is the only visa that allows you to study a course of up to 6 months and work full time in the meantime.
  • If you want to improve your English and work: It is the only visa that allows you to work while studying a language course.
  • If you want to work hard to save and then travel: It is the only visa that allows you to work full time, anywhere in Canada.
  • If you want to enter and leave Canada: The Work and Holiday Visa lasts for twelve months and during this time you can enter and leave the country as many times as you want.

Requirements to apply for Work and Holiday Visa

As you will see below, meet the requirements to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa it's not that complicated either. Here the timing it's everything!

  • Have between 18 and 35 years at the time of application.
  • Having a police record free of charge. If you have lived in another country for more than 6 months, you must fill out an online form where you make sure that you have no prior record.
  • Not having family charges.
  • Deliver your biometric tests. It is the most effective way of identifying citizens, and consists of taking your fingerprints, photographs of these and photographs of your face. You can do it in one of the official offices. Check on this page which one is closest to you.
  • Prove you have saved a minimum of $ 2500 CAD to cover your first weeks in Canada.
  • Taking out medical insurance that covers your entire stay in Canada. We recommend that you hire a travel medical insurance, which also covers possible incidents such as lost luggage.
  • Updated CV to the Canadian. Your CV will have to be in English or French, not carry a photo, and include age and nationality, among other details.
  • A passport photo in color in digital format in passport size to accompany your application.
  • Complete the Family Information. It is a form where you will have to provide information about your family situation.
  • Pay visa fees ($ 156 CAD)

How to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa?

All ready? The game must go on! 

In this mission comes into play the speed.

First of all, refresh the immigration page and find out if the registration period has opened.

  1. Fill in the form Come to Canada to make sure you can apply for the Work and Holiday Visa and get your personal reference code.
  2. Make an account in the Canada Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship page, hereinafter IRCC.
  3. Click on "Apply to come to Canada" e enter your personal reference code to start the application.
  4. Complete your profile, choose the Work and Holiday Visa option and submit your application.
  5. Mission complete: You are in the pool! Basically, you have entered the database of all the people who want to go to Canada to which, when the time comes, the government of Canada will send invitations to fill out the official application for the Work and Holiday Visa.

And finally, we have reached the last screen.

In this last mission, luck comes into play. And is that the government of Canada every year performs a draw to assign invitations. Randomly, the algorithm sends invitations to some of the Registered users in the Pool database.

These invitations are called ITA's and allow uploading all the necessary documentation to complete the application for the Work and Holiday Visa.

Once all invitations are sent and all invited users have successfully completed the registration process, visas are running out. This usually happens between August and September.

Tips for getting the W&H Visa

And aside from luck, is there anything I can do?" You will ask yourself. And here are your answers:

  • Have all the documentation ready. If you receive one of the ITA's (invitations) you will have 10 days to complete the request.
  • Upload all the required documentation, including medical and police certificates, screenshots of your bank account ... If you do not have any of the required documents at the time of application, you can upload a receipt of the appointment to get them.
  • Be prepared to apply for an Open Work Permit. When your application for the Work and Holiday Visa, you will have 20 days to apply for the work permit (essential for the part work of the visa) and pay the corresponding fees (100 $ CAD).
  • Have an operational credit or debit card with which you can pay the $ 156 CAD of the visa fees.
  • Be prepared to get your biometric tests. If necessary, you will receive a notification through your IRCC account to send your biometric data. You will have 30 days to go to one of the official centers and get your results, so we recommend you see which center do you have more at hand so you can come quickly.
  • Have patience. Sometimes the application for a work permit can take up to 56 days. You may also be asked to attach extra documentation. But don't worry, everything works out!
  • Contemplate the possibility of resigning. After all the process, we don't think you are thinking of giving up your Work and Holiday Visa. But if by any chance you need to do it, this is your moment. If you withdraw from the program now, you will be able to get a refund of the fees you have paid (the Work and Holiday Visa application fee + the Open Work Permit processing fee).
  • Dance of victory. If everything goes fine, you will receive the Port Entry Letter from the IRCC, the letter that gives you permission to enter Canada and that you will have to show once you land in Canada.

Remember, the Work and Holiday Visa for Canada you can only ask once in a lifetime. If you request it and do not use it, you will not be able to request it again for another year. So when you start the gymkhana of the request, we recommend that you be very clear that this is the year you go to canada (Also, according to the law of attraction, if you apply with this mentality, you are much more likely to get your visa.

What if I want to stay longer?

If you got your Work and Holiday Visa and you've been in Canada for a while, no wonder you start to wonder how to extend your stay in the country. It is what it has to be in one of the countries with the highest quality of life in the world, right?

With the Work and Holiday Visa you have the opportunity to explore, do and undo as you please. And that freedom… catch.

We know it well. And the Canadian government too, that's why it has prepared a program that will give you the possibility of extend your Work and Holiday Visa for one more year. This is the Young Professional Visa, and to apply for it you will only need to have a job offer that is good for your professional development and commit to working with the same employer during the entire length of the visa.

Above all, do not stay with the desire

La Work and Holiday Visa It is a very good option to come to study and work in Canada, but it is not the only one! If you do not meet the requirements or luck has not smiled on you, you can always write to us and we will give you the necessary tokens to start your adventure in Canada.

En Dingoos we are experts in Canada and we can help you process a student visa with which you can study a vocational training course y work full time during the practical block and holidays, with what the advantages end up being very similar to that of the Work and Holiday Visa and also gives you the opportunity to put in your CV that you have been trained in a country with a globally recognized educational system.

In addition, we will not only advise you to choose the option that best suits your plan. We will also help you process the visa, find your flights… And we will welcome you to Canada as one of the team. And this is a game that you are going to love to play.

We speak? Write us!

Fill out the form and a Dingoos Guide will write to you as soon as you read your mail.
Form image
Your message is on its way!
A Dingoos Guide will read it and respond to you in the next 24/48 hours.
If after this period you have not received an email, remember to check your Spam folder.

    Frequently asked questions about Work and Holiday Visa

    How many places are there for Spain, Chile and Costa Rica?

    The number of places available annually for each country are:

    • . 800 places
    • Chile: 430
    • Costa Rica: 80

    Can I study with the W&H?

    If you can study up to 6 months, language courses included.

    What are biometric tests?

    Consists of the taking your fingerprints and photographing them. They can only be done in offices approved by the Canadian government's Immigration department.

    What do I need for biometrics?

    Yes, get your biometric dataOn the day of your appointment, you must bring a passport photo in digital format, 35mm x 45mm, maximum resolution 600 pixels, JPEG format. The file cannot be larger than 240 KB or smaller than 6 KB.

    Once there, they will take your fingerprints and create your biometric profile.

    What happens if they send me an ITA?

    Life smiles at you! Means that You have been chosen to apply for one of the Work and Holiday Visa. From the day of notification, you will have 10 days to accept the invitation and then others 20 days deliver all documents that are requested to process your visa.

    Do I need health insurance for the W&H?

    Yes, is an essential requirement for successfully process your Work and Holiday Visa. In addition, they will ask you when entering Canada. At Dingoos we always recommend Travelfine. They have very good coverage and many policiesdifferent so you can choose the one that best suits your plan.

    To ensure a better browsing experience, we advise you to put your phone vertically.

    Australia's most famous cookies are called "Anzac Biscuits". Accept them to continue browsing the web. See Cookies policy

    Notice of cookies