post graduation work permit

Post Graduation Work Permit

Working after studying in Canada is possible with the Post Graduation Work Permit.

If you are looking at what your options are to get the rpermanent residence in Canada, study in Canada in a Public college it's your best bet. Since in this way, you will be able to access a Post-Graduation Work Permit, with which you can work in Canada after completing your studies and you will accumulate more experience in the country and then be able to apply for permanent residence.

Sounds good? Read on to find out more about the Post-Graduation Work Permit, its advantages and how to achieve it.

What is this visa and what advantages does it have?

As we anticipated, the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) It is a type of work permit that all international students can obtain after graduating from a Public college approved by the government anywhere in Canada and, only in the state of Quebec, in some Private colleges. 

With this permission, you can work in companies related to what you have studied, for a time that varies between 8 months and 3 years. 

This is a ideal permit for those who see your future in Canada, since it is a very good way to get work experience in the country, one of the most important requirements to be eligible for the permanent residence with the Express Entry program. 

It is important that, if you want study in Canada and then get this work permit, take into account in which center you are going to take your course, since not all designated learning institution (DLI) offer the possibility of obtaining this permit at the end of your studies. To ensure that you study at one of the Canadian government accredited schools, contact Dingoos. We will assign you a Dingoos Guide so you can tell him what your plans and goals are. He will be in charge of helping you choose a suitable school and carry out all the necessary procedures to get your visa and later, your work permit.

How long does the Post Graduate Work Permit last and how much does it cost?

The duration of a Post Graduate Work Permit is proportional to your studies in Canada and you can only request it if you complete a course of at least 8 months.

With this clear, we are going to see all your possibilities:

  • If you study from 8 months to 2 years: Your PGWP will last the same as the course taken. For example, if you take a two-year course, your work permit will be 2 years.
  • If your studies last 2 years or more: You will be able to apply for a 3-year PGWP.
  • If you have studied more than one course, being all of at least 8 months duration: your PGWP will last the same as the total of your studies. For example, if you have done a course of 1 year and another of 8 months, your work permit will be 1 year and 8 months.

Processing this permit leaves by $ 225 CAD and to carry out all the procedures you will need some 3 months. So plan ahead! 

Requirements to apply to the Post Graduation Work Permit

The most important thing to be able to apply to Post-Graduation Work Permit is that you have successfully completed your studies at one of the designated educational centers by the Canadian government. The centers that apply are:

  • University, technical or business school anywhere in Canada.
  • University or a CEGEP in Quebec.
  • IPrivate post-secondary institutions that operate under the same rules as the public schools in Quebec.
  • Private secondary or post-secondary education centers in Quebec, with programs of 900 hours or more and with which you can later opt for a Professional Diploma (DEP) or a Certificate of Professional Specialization (ASP).
  • Private schools anywhere in Canada that grant degrees, masters, doctorates, bachelor's degrees or associate degrees, by virtue of provincial law (you will have to take one of the programs that allows you to obtain a degree authorized by the province).

Have you completed your studies in one of these centers? Very well! The rest of the requirements are quite simple:

  • Be in Canada with a valid visa or be out of the country.
  • Have completed an educational program older than 8 months.
  • Have finished your studies less than 6 months ago.
  • Have been registered as "Full time student" until you complete the total of the course.
  • Get a letter from your study center where it is reflected that you have been enrolled in school and completed your studies successfully.

We advise you that, if you think that finding a suitable school to study and get your post-study work permit is an impossible mission, contact us. In Dingoos We know very well that this can be very frustrating and complicated, that is why we have very prepared people, who know the Canadian educational offering down and out and that she will be more than happy to look for your perfect match educational so that you and only you decide how long you will Live in Canada.

What are the approved schools to apply for the Post Graduation Work Permit?

Continuing with the exciting and extensive world of educational offerings in Canada, the Government has on its website the official list of schools where international students can study, where they are and if they are eligible to apply later for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Canadian efficiency!

Life takes many turns and what better way to be prepared for everything. If you don't know if yours with Canada is something casual or forever, you'd better choose to study in a center that leaves all the doors open. You will have time to decide, between a trip to the snow and a hockey game. And if you want to avoid all the worries, get in touch with Dingoos. Our guides will be in charge of knowing the details of your story and putting the scenarios in the form of assigned schools, tailor-made courses, management of all bureaucratic issues, so that you and only you decide what is yours with Canada and when it ends.

We speak? Write us!

Fill out the form and a Dingoos Guide will write to you as soon as you read your mail.
Form image
Your message is on its way!
A Dingoos Guide will read it and respond to you in the next 24/48 hours.
If after this period you have not received an email, remember to check your Spam folder.


    When can you apply for this permit?

    Timings are very important to be able to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit. 

    • Since you finish your studies, you have 90 days (3 months) to get a letter from your school confirming that you have completed your studies successfully.
    • Since you received that letter, you have 180 days (6 months) to submit the PGWP application.

    Who can apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit?

    Anyone who has completed a educational program of at least 8 months duration in one of the designated learning institutions (DLI) in last 6 months. 

    How much does the Post Graduate Work Permit cost?

    The procedures for managing the Post-Graduation Work Permit costs $ 255 CAD.

    Can I stay in Canada after Post Graduate Work Permit?

    Yes, the Post-Graduation Work Permit is the perfect next step for those who want stay in Canada at the end of your studies or with a view to the future.

    If your goal is settle in Canada, you will have to build your permanent residence little by little.

    And that is exactly what you do with a Post-Graduation Work Permit: you will be able to live longer in Canada, add work experience to your resume and improve your English much more, essential requirements to be able to apply for an Express Entry visa and later, a permanent residence visa. 

    To ensure a better browsing experience, we advise you to put your phone vertically.

    Australia's most famous cookies are called "Anzac Biscuits". Accept them to continue browsing the web. See Cookies policy

    Notice of cookies