Types of visas for Canada

No matter what you come to Canada to do: whatever it is, you will need a visa.
types of canada visas

If you are thinking of coming to work and study in Canada, you have found the right page. In Dingoos we are experts in Canada and we have created a series of services focused on helping you choose the type of visa that best suits the experience you want to live. Once chosen, we will take care of all the paperwork and manage so that one day, almost without realizing it, you wake up in Canada. 

So that when we talk you already know what your options are, we are going to see all the types of visas with which you can Live in Canada a season and which you can choose according to your plans.

What is a visa and why do you need it?

First of all, a visa is nothing more than a document issued by a country that authorizes entry to a foreign person to their borders to study, work or just go on vacation. Each visa has a duration, a price and specific characteristics.

If you think, We are going to see the different types of Australian visas so you can get to know them. Of course, it is not necessary to repeat what we always tell you: in Dingoos we are here to analyze your personal situation and advise you on the visa that best suits your objectives. Do not hesitate to ask us any questions you have. Surely we have the exact answer to what worries you!

Tourist visa

With the tourist visa you can enter Canada by maximum periods of 6 months If your objective is simply to travel through Canada or to visit family and friends, and in the case of the ETA, it also allows you to study for a maximum period of 6 months.

The tourist visa does not allow to work legally in the country. And be careful, because they are quite strict with this topic and penalties are harsh.


Types of tourist visa

There are two types of tourist visas:

  • Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa): For people with a Colombian, Argentine or Peruvian passport.
    • It can be requested both by physical and online media 
    • It is also requested when stopovers are made in Canadian territory
    • Valid for a maximum of 6 months
    • Price: $ 100 CAD
  • ETA (Electronic Travel Authorization): For people with a Spanish, Mexican or Chilean passport
    • Is requested online
    • Lasts 5 years and allows the stay in the country for maximum periods of 6 months
    • Allows study in Canada courses of less than 6 months
    • Price: $ 7 CAD

Requirements to apply for a tourist visa

  • Un valid and valid passport at least for one more year.
  • Be healthy. You may be asked for some medical testss certify that you are in good health.
  • Show immigration that you purpose in Canada is merely tourist and that they plan to return home when your visa expires. To do this, you will have to provide information about your work, academic or family responsibilities, and a flight out of the country. 
  • Lack problems with justiceno criminal record.
  • Prove you have sufficient funds to cover the expenses of your trip. This will vary depending on the time and places you plan to visit.
  • Pay visa fees. As we have seen before, the price varies from $ 7 CAD to $ 100 CAD.

On the other hand, you have to take into account that, even if you meet all the requirements, a immigration agent can consider you not suitable for tourist visa when finding some economic, health or safety problem.

Lastly, if you want extend your stay as a tourist in Canada, you can request a extension of your visa: The Visit Report. It is requested at least 30 days before your Visitor Visa expires and from within Canada. The duration of the Visit Report is variable and is decided by Immigration Department.

Student visa

Although to understand each other better we call it a Student Visa, in Canada it is called Study permit. And it is actually a permission to be requested together with the tourist visa relevant and that gives you the possibility of study in Canada courses of more than 6 months. 

As we have seen before, if your intention is study a shorter course, you can do it by requesting an eTA.

El Study permit has the same duration as the course you have chosen study in Canada. With this permission you can also work part time during the course (20h per week) already full time (40 hours a week) during vacation periods.


Requirements to apply for the student visa

In order to request the student visa, you will have to gather a series of papers, certificates and documents that you will have to present later to the Canadian Immigration Department.

  • Be enrolled in a course in one of the iaccredited institutions. To choose where to study in canada You can consult the government list, or contact us and we will propose you accredited centers where you can study.
  • A letter of acceptance from the institution certifying that you are enrolled and the duration of the course.
  • Un valid passport and a minimum validity of 6 months.
  • Two recent photos passport size with your name and date of birth written on the back.
  • Certify that you have 883 $ CAD for each month the duration of the course you have enrolled in.
  • Be in good health and be willing to have a medical exam. 
  • An official document issued by the police certifying that you do not have criminal record in your country of origin.
  • Test of English or French. If you are coming to do a university degree or other higher studies, you will have to prove that you speak one of the two official languages ​​fluently.
  • A letter of motivation explaining the reasons why you are going to study Canada and what do you want to learn in the course you have chosen.
  • If you are going to study within the province of Quebec, you will have to request a letter of acceptance to the provincial government of Quebec.
  • Pay visa fees ($ 150 CAD).

normally Student Visas or Study Permit are requested online before travelling to Canada; although in some cases it is also possible to request them from within the country.

If after reading this list you feel a bit overwhelmed, our requirement Number one is that contact us. In Dingoos we are experts in everything related to coming to Canada and staying. Our Dingoos Guides they will help you choose what do you want to study, in which city and in which school, and, once you know what you want, our Visa Experts Department will take care of all the necessary procedures to get your Study Permit. And it doesn't end here! Your Dingoos guide it will also help you plan, organize and book tAll you need to start your adventure in Canada, and once here he will accompany you to carry out the first procedures, such as getting a SIM card, tips for finding a flat ... so that your arrival and stay in Canada is unforgettable from the beginning.


Courses you can do with this Canadian visa

With the student visa you can study in Canada a wide variety of courses in one of the best educational systems in the world. Keep reading to discover some of the options that you can proudly place on your CV and that will open the door to a lot of good job opportunities in the future.

  • English or French courses. Improve your level in English or French, two of the most widely spoken languages ​​in the world, and which will allow you to travel and work with greater safety. There are general English courses aimed at obtaining a degree.
  • Vocational training. Here you can choose study a Diploma or Certificate with or without Co-op. These courses are focused on teaching you everything related to some profession or occupation and that you leave ready to join the labor market. While in Canada you can work part-time while you study, if you enroll in a course with Co-op (courses that combine theoretical part and practical part), you will have the possibility of work full time during internships. This is a great option to get some Experience within the field you have chosen to study and do something more money legally, since normally these practices are remunerated.
  • Degrees, Masters and Postgraduates. Is the more expensive option, but also one of those that has you more prestige and it can open up more job opportunities in the future: year after year Canada tops the rankings of countries with the best universities in the world, And it's for a reason! Have a degree awarded by a Canadian university it is highly valued and will make you have a winning resume. If you want to have this medal on your CV, we recommend you go for it and take a Bachelor in any of the world-renowned Canadian universities.

Student visa as a couple

If you come to study to Canada and you are married, your partner can request the open work permit, with which you can work full time while you complete your studies. Sounds good right? Come on what types of studies you can do so that your partner gets a open work permit and can work full time.

  • Be enrolled in a Public College, University or CEGEP in Quebec.
  • Be enrolled in a private university in Quebec.
  • Be enrolled in a Official Canadian institution that grants bachelor's, master's or doctorate degrees. 

Keep in mind that if you have come to do an English course, you will not be able to request this type of work permit for your partner.

The processing of open work permit costs $ 550 CAD.

We speak? Write us!

Contact us and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you as soon as possible :)
Form image
Your message is on its way!
A Dingoos Guide will read it and respond to you in the next 24/48 hours.
If after this period you have not received an email, remember to check your Spam folder.

    Work and Holiday Visa

    Difficult to obtain and in very good condition and only once in a lifetime, that's the combination that makes the Canada Working Holiday Visa is one of more attractive visas for travelers around the world, and that year after year hangs the poster of sold out within hours of leaving.

    With the Working Holiday Visa this live, work and travel in Canada for a maximum of 2 years. In addition, you can study and work part timefor a period of 6 months.

    If your intention is work full time, Upon arriving at Canada you will have to request one of the work permits offered by the Canadian government. We recommend that you request a Open Work Permit, with which you can work across Canada and for any company.


    Requirements to apply for the work and holiday visa in Canada

    As in any other process visa application for Canada, you will have to be prepared for collect official papers and documentss. To make it easier for you, we have created this list with all the requirements.

    Before starting the paperwork, we recommend that you make sure you have passport of one of the 35 countriess that can apply to the Working Holiday Visa. The Spanish-speaking countries that are on this list are Spain, Chile and Costa Rica.

    You are inside? Perfect let's see what do you need:

    • Create a profile on the Immigration page for evaluation by the Canadian government. If they accept your application, you can start the application process.
    • Have a valid passport and with a validity equal to the total time of your stay in Canada.
    • Have between 18 and 35 years at the time of applying for the visa.
    • Prove you have $ 2500 CAD in your bank account to cover your first expenses in Canada.
    • Take out health insurance that covers your entire stay in Canada.
    • Show that you have no people in charge.
    • Have an updated CV and the Canadian way.
    • Show you don't have criminal record.
    • A passport photo in color passport size.
    • Pay visa fees ($ 155 CAD)
    • Deliver your biometric data upon your arrival in Canada. It sounds SCI FI but they are simply your fingerprints and photograph of them and you can do it once you arrive in Canada at one of the Immigration Department offices.

    Have you already gathered everything? You have to keep in mind that, even if you are fast and have everything in order, to get a Work and Holiday visa you will also need luck to smile on you, since there is only 800 places for Spain, 725 for Chile and 80 places for Costa Rica. 


    W&H welcome pack

    If you are lucky and get your Work and Holiday Visa... congrats!  After so many nerves and so many steps to take, you deserve get to canada and not have to worry about anything else. So if you want a welcome for everything great, write to us. At Dingoos we take care of making your arrival in Canada as easy as possible with our Welcome Pack for Work and Holiday.With this pack you will have access to all the advantages of belong to the Dingoos community, including airport pick-up and help with the first formalities in Canada, such as opening your bank account and getting your SIM card.

    And if you don't get a Work and Holiday visa or you do not meet some of your requirements, but you do not want to give up live the experience of your life in Canada, Write us! There are many ways to come to Canada and in Dingoos we know them all. Get in touch with us and we will inform you of all your options, such as the student visa, which also allows you work in canada And we will take care of all the procedures for you for free, so this time you don't have to worry about anything.

    Permits to extend your stay in Canada

    Your visa is running out, but your life in Canada… it doesn't have to! In Canada they have various plans to host international workers, and we are sure you can find a permission to extend your stay in Canada for some time or to get the rpermanent residence in Canada.

    There are two permissions that can fit you, depending on whether you've been studying or working (or both) in Canada. 


    Post Graduation Work Permit

    Si has studied in Canada in a institution accredited as a public college, you can easily access the Post Graduation Work Permit. With this visa, you can stay working in Canada from 8 months to 2 years or more (the visa has the same duration as the course you have studied).

    Its main advantages is that you can work for any company without limit of hours and acquire Experience in one of the more prosperous markets of the world ... which translates into good salaries.

    Also with this visa you can go accumulating work experience in Canada, which is one of the requirements to get the permanent residence in the country. 

    Requirements to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit

    • Having studied in an accredited educational center that allows you to apply for this type of permit once you have finished your studies
    • Have successfully completed a non-language course of more than 8 months.
    • Have been in Canada at all times with a legal study and / or work permit and a valid visa.
    • Get a certified letter from the school attesting that you were enrolled in the school and completed your studies successfully.
    • Being the first time you apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (it is only granted once in a lifetime).
    • Pay processing fees ($ 225 CAD)

    There are some exceptions and some extra requirements. Read ourPost-Graduation Work Permit article and find out everything you need to know.


    Open Work Permit

    As we anticipated before, with the Open Work Permit You can work anywhere in Canada, for any Canadian company and full time.

    It is the permission that you will have to request to be able to work during your Working Holiday Visa or the work permit that your partner can get if you have a Study Permit, remember?

    Requirements to request an Open Work Permit

    It is best to request the Open Work Permit once you are in Canada. If you request it from outside the country, you will have to make some extra efforts, such as submit biometric exams and pass a verification process for the approval of your visa.

    To request the Open Work Permit You will have to complete a series of common requirements and other specific ones that will vary depending on each visa.

    Common requirements are:

      • Prove that you have enough money to cover the expenses of your stay in Canada.
      • Have no police charges nor be a threat to the security of the country.
      • Show that you will leave the country once your work permit expires.
    • Certify that you are in good health.
    • Have a job offer by a Canadian employer or company.

    We are aware that may sound a bit confusing and that is a lot of information to digest, so once again, if you need to clarify something or talk about your specific case, contact Dingoos. Our guides will be happy to help you get through the red tape much faster.

    Programs to immigrate to Canada

    If your thing with this country is serious and you are determined to call Canada home for the rest of your life, you may want to consider apply for permanent residence. In Canada this process is not reserved for just a few ... well yes, it is reserved for anyone who has to contribute something to Canada through your work and that it contributes to this country continuing to be one of the most prosperous in the world. 

    As always, there is a lot of paperwork to do, but nothing that a little time (and a good Dingoos guide) cannot help you process.

    To get into the subject, you have to know that the canadian government created the Express Entry, a program that welcomes tinternational workers who want to reside and work in Canada. 

    Through a online visa system, the Express Entry manages requests for international workers, dividing the requests into three categories according to studies, work experience and profile of applicants. 

    Do you want to know in which category you could enter? Let's get to know them!


    Federal Skilled Worker Program

    Al Federal Skiled Worker Program can apply foreign qualified professionals.

    The basic requirements that you must meet are:

    • Bachelor's degree equivalent to a university degree in Canada.
    • Have at least 1 year of work experience (1560 hours if you have worked part-time) within the field of your university studies.
    • English certificate certifying that you have a high level of English or French.
    • Other requirements that may be asked are: show you have sufficient savings for your stay in Canada or a medical check. 

    Federal Skilled Trades Program

    It tienes demonstrated work experience within a trade (carpenter, miner, bricklayer ...) you can apply to the Federal Skilled Trades Program. 

    The minimum requirements to apply for this visa are:

    • Have at least 2 years of work experience in your trade. This is a total of 3120 hours if you have been working part-time.
    • Submit a high level certificate in English or French.
    • Having a full time job offer 1 year duration.
    • If you have a title or diploma to certify your training, present it. It is not mandatory, but it will make you win extra points.
    • They may ask you to prove that you have money to keep you in canada or some extra document.

    Canadian Experience Class

    If you are an international worker who has been living or currently resides in Canada and also has work experience within the country, you can apply to the Canadian Experience Class.

    The minimum requirements to apply for this type of visa are:

    • Have at least 1 year of work experience in Canada in the last 3 years. If you have been working part-time, the total hours must be equivalent to the hours accumulated when working full-time (1560 h).
    • La Experience must have been obtained legally, through a visa that allows you to work in Canada, with a work permit and with a work contract.
    • Certify that you have a high level of English or French.
    • It is not essential that you present a degree title, but if you have it you can present them because you will add points.

    If you have come to Canada for the long run, you can start taking all your steps to get this visa.

    For example, you can start studying with a Study Permit,apply for the Post Graduation Work Permit once you complete your studies to accumulate work experience within Canada and then ... apply for the Canadian Experience Class and thus obtain permanent residence in the country. Sounds good?


    If you have come this far you must have many questions. Are many visas,different permissions and options. So next we are going to make a small questions and answers to solve all the doubts that may have arisen.


    Is a visa for Canada mandatory?

    Yes. You can choose between tourist, student or work, but it is essential to apply for a visa to enter the country.


    Is it mandatory to show that I have an economic background to apply for a visa for Canada?

    Yes, although not for all visas. Get in touch with us, the Dingoos team, and we will help you choose the visa that best suits your profile and needs.


    If I don't know English, can I work in Canada?

    To be able to work in Canada, the first thing you need is a visa that allows you to work in Canada. 

    If your visa allows you to work, you already have 50% done! To get a job it is important to speak English, but above all your attitude. If you are proactive and feel like it, you will soon find a job and little by little, you will improve your level of English.


    Is Canada a bilingual country? 

    In Canada, due to its colonial past, English and French coexist as the main languages ​​of the countryThat is why all public services and the majority of the population are bilingual.

    Having said that, the only bilingual provinceCanada is New Brunswick. In Quebec the official language is French and in the rest of the country English.


    I will learn English?

    Up to you! En Dingoos we can assure you that you are going to study in a good school that suits your budget and plan in Canada. We can also help you with finding a job and a flat ... but when it comes down to it, the learn English it's only up to you.

    If you make an effort in class and surround yourself with a group of international friends you will learn English better and faster.


    Can I do an internship while I study? 

    Si quieres combine work and study, your best option will be to choose a curso with Co-op.

    These are vocational courses that combine a theory block with a practice block. During the theory you will work part time, and during the practice block, you will work full time on something related to your studies.


    Can I work in Canada with a tourist visa? And with a student one? 

    With the Tourist visa cannot work in Canada. 

    With the student visa you will not be able to work if you come to study a language course.

    On the other hand, if you come to do a course of anything else other than english, you can work part time during class time already full time in vacation time.


    Can you study in Canada with a tourist visa?

    Yes, as long as the course has a maximum duration of 6 months. But remember, with this visa you will not be able to work legally.

    How does Dingoos help you?

    You already have an overview of all visas that they will allow you to start your adventure in canada, and now Do you know which is the one that best suits you? 

    Perhaps this part is the most difficult, especially because we already know how stressful and complicated everything related to new bureaucratic procedures can be.

    Luckily for us it is nothing new! In Dingoos we are experts in everything related to process visas successfully y track Canada's educational offerings in search of a perfect course for you and what to do what your passage through Canada be one you won't easily forget.

    Are we going to Canada together? 🙂

    What our students say about us

    This is how our services are valued by people who are enjoying Australia while reading these lines.


    To ensure a better browsing experience, we advise you to put your phone vertically.

    Australia's most famous cookies are called "Anzac Biscuits". Accept them to continue browsing the web. See Cookies policy

    Notice of cookies