Work and holiday visa for Australia

Work and Holiday Visa for Australia

Do you want to come to Australia with the Work and Holiday Visa and don't know where to start? Don't worry, Dingoos is here to help you! You are about to solve your doubts once and for all and forever.

Welcome to the complete and definitive guide on Work and Holiday Visa for Australia!

We are going to tell you in a useful and enjoyable way everything you need to know: what is the visa, all the documentation you have to present, the correct way to do it and some tips so that your candidacy comes to fruition and takes you directly to the airport .

And remember to check out the W&H Welcome Package Dingoos Visa. A pack created especially for all those who plan to come to Australia with this visa and that includes a lot of exclusive advantages to enjoy your experience even more.
Let's go there!

What is the W&H Visa?

The Work and Holiday is a type of visa that will allow you to travel and work in Australia for a year. How you read it!

There are two types of vacation and work visa:

  • The 462 visa (Work and Holiday) is for countries like Spain, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Uruguay ...
  • The 417 visa (Working Holiday) for many of the countries in Europe.

In this guide we are going to talk about Visa 462 Although there are many similarities between the two.

Work & Holiday Visa application dates

Each July 1 opens the call. So stay tuned, because Australia only offers a limited number of W&H visas for each nationality and the deadline to apply is always open that day!

Which countries can apply for the W&H Visa?

Visa types icon

Countries with limited number of Work & Holiday visas

You can apply for the Work and Holiday Visa 462 if you have a passport from any of these countries:



  • Spain
  • Portugal
  • Czech Republic
  • Austria
  • Slovenia
  • Hungary
  • Luxembourg
  • Poland
  • Slovak Republic
  • San Marino
  • Turkey
  • Greece

South America

  • Argentina
  • Chile
  • Peru
  • Uruguay
  • Ecuador

Other countries

  • USA
  • People's Republic of China
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Thailand
  • China
  • Vietnam

What can I do with the Work and Holiday Visa?

Very good question! The Work and Holiday Visa opens up a world of possibilities. In particular, all these:

  • You can live a year in Australia working and traveling, expandable to two if you work for more than three months in the north of Australia in a job related to tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forests or fishing.
  • Once granted, you have 12 months to enter the country.
  • It's like the first kiss: it can only be achieved once. So take advantage of it and live it intensely!
  • You can work for six months with the same employer.
  • You can study for a maximum of 4 months.
  • Quiet, you can go home for Christmas: because during the visa period, you can enter and leave Australia as many times as you want.

Requirements to apply for Work and Holiday Visa


General requirements

  • The first requirement is age: to apply, you must be between 18 and 30 years old. However, since 2016 it is rumored that an application extension will be made up to 35 years. At the moment it is still a rumor, but we will keep you informed.
  • Have bought a ticket back to your country or at least have enough money to buy it.
  • Do not be accompanied by children on your adventure through Australia.
  • Pay the 485 AUD that costs the visa application fee.

English level

If this is the first time you are applying for your Work & Holiday Visa, you must prove that you have at least a functional level of English.

"And how is this done?", You may be wondering. Keep reading, because there are as many answers as there are possibilities.

eye! If you do not have enough English or what you are looking for is to improve your English level, You can always come to Australia with the Student Visa.

You have the level of English enough if ...

If you are a citizen or have a passport from one of these countries:

  • United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.

If you have passed or passed any of these specific level tests within the established deadlines:

  • International English Language Assessment System (IELTS): demonstrate an average band score of at least 4.5 points for the four components of the test (speaking, reading, listening and writing) completed within 12 months after the visa application.
  • Occupational English Test (OET): have completed it within 12 months prior to the submission of the visa application.
  • Test band of English as a foreign language through the Internet (TOEFL iBT): Get at least 32 points in total among the four components that are taken into account in the test (speaking, reading, writing and listening) within 12 months of the submission of the visa application.
  • Pearson Test of English Academic Band (PTE Academic): Get an overall score of at least 30 points for the four components of the test (speaking, reading, writing and listening) within 12 months of the submission of the visa application.
  • Cambridge English Advanced (CAE): Get at least 147 points in total for the four test components (speaking, reading, writing and listening). In addition, the test must have been performed between January 1, 2015 and the 12 months prior to submitting the visa application.

Or if you find yourself in any of these situations:

  • You have passed all the years of primary education and at least three years of high school in an institution where all the instructions were in English.
  • You have completed at least five years of secondary education (high school) in an educational institution where all the instructions were in English.
  • You have a post-secondary qualification of at least two years of full-time study where all classes were taught in English.
  • You have completed at least one year of full-time studies or equivalent and have obtained a degree, advanced degree, diploma or associate diploma in an Australian institution where all the instructions were in English.
  • You have successfully passed an English Bagrut exam at the level of three units of study (this only applies to Israeli applicants)

Higher education

In this matter, every country is a world. Depending on where you come from, you will be asked for different education requirements. In the following table we collect them all.

Work and holiday visa by countries


Personal documentation

Below we detail step by step all the documentation you must provide. But as an advance and as highlights, indicate that you will need to attach a certified photocopy of the passport (you can check it at the police station, for example), your birth certificate (with an international copy) and two passport photos.


Government support letter

If this is the first time you are applying for the Work & Holiday Visa and depending on your nationality, you must attach a letter of support from the government of your country in your application. Keep in mind, of course, that this card does not guarantee 100% a place.

You can contact the appropriate agency in your country to obtain a letter of support from the government:

  • Czech Republic: you must obtain a letter of introduction from your educational institution at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Greece
  • Hungary: Ministry of Interior (Department of European Cooperation)
  • Indonesia
  • Luxembourg: National Youth Service
  • Malaysia
  • Peru: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Poland: Ministry of Labor and Social Policy
  • San Marino: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Slovak Republic: Ministry of Interior
  • Slovenia: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Thailand
  • Turkey: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Uruguay: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
  • Vietnam

You do not need a letter of support to get your Work and Holiday 462 visa if you are from these countries:

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • Israel
  • People's Republic of China
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Singapore
  • United States

Prove that you have sufficient financial funds

To do this, you must attach to the request an extract from your bank account in which it appears that you have available at least the equivalent in the currency of your country to $ 5.000 AUD, and also the equivalent of round trip air tickets if You have not bought them yet.

How to apply for the Work and Holiday Visa?

It depends on whether in your country of origin the application for the Work and Holiday Visa is sent online or by post.

Laptop icon

Online application

Until recently, all countries eligible to apply to the W&H had to send their application by post but as of July 1, 2018, all 462 visa applications except if you are from the People's Republic of China they will have to appear online through ImmiAccount.

  • If you are from the People's Republic of China you must apply for the Work & Holiday Visa 462 in person, here You have all the information.
Document icon

Required Documentation

We have gathered all the documentation you need so you can check it at a glance.

We recommend you copy and paste this small list in a document and go ticking to check what things you already have and what you need.

Step by step, you will gather all the necessary documentation to apply to your Work and Holiday Visa.

  • A Certified copy of your passport (In the case of Spain, they will do it in the National Police).
  • 2 passport photos (with your name written on the back only if you apply by mail).
  • Copy of your English certificate.
  • Copy of your Higher education degree or certificate of notes if you do not have the title yet.
  • Tu letter of support from the government.
  • Form 1028 fully filled out (below we give you some tips to complete it correctly).
  • Copy of your bank account with a sum equivalent to $ 5.000 AUD.
  • Copy of the round trip air tickets (Only if you have them. If you have not purchased them yet, record that you can pay them with an amount equivalent to the price of the airline tickets in your bank account).

How to fill in the form?

Whether or not you belong to the countries that can send the application online, you will have to fill out the 1028 form and include it among all the documentation you must submit.

We are going to see some points of the 1028 form that can generate confusion to try to solve any doubt that may arise.

Remember that although you are present online, you can fill out the form both by computer and by hand. Of course, if you decide to print and fill it by hand do it with blue or black pen and capital letter.


Part A

Your personal data: in the first boxes you will have to fill in your information as it appears in your passport.

There are some fields in which you may not know very well what to put, such as ...

  • Usual occupation: What do you do for a living? Are you a student or have you worked as an economist? Point it out here.
  • What type of employment…: Surely you don't know what job you are going to access, but put something general type “Agriculture” or “Hospitality”.
  • Qualifications: Quiet, you do not have to put all your notes, it refers to that you put the titles obtained. Your degree, FP or Master.

Part B

Here they ask you for the data of your previous visas if you have been in Australia. If you have not been or requested a visa, you will have to indicate "No" at point 22 and 23 and go directly to part C.


Part C

In the 28 box you will have to put the places where you have lived for more than three months, not the places you have visited. For example, if you were on Erasmus for six months in Italy, indicate it.

The rest are questions about your health and intentions of using the Australian health system. You know, the only thing you have to consider to answer is to do it with common sense.


Part D

This part is about your criminal background and related issues.


Part E

This part refers to if you have an agency that is processing your visa. If not, answer "No" at point 38 and jump to part F.


Part F

Here they ask you who they have to communicate with. In principle, if you do not have a manager, the communication will be directly with you.


Part G

We enter the payment area. To get the amounts you will have to look for them here. In principle you will only have to fill in the visa to which you apply (Visa subclass: 462) and the base of “Application charge”. The fee you will have to pay will surely be $ 485 AUD.

Tips to get the Work and Holiday Visa

Try to have everything ready for when the call comes out, so you can "throw it out" as soon as possible. As soon as the government letter arrives, you can send all the documentation.

Before submitting the letter of support (ideally, do the 1 in July to the 00: 01), make sure you have installed the digital certificate on your computer or have a valid electronic ID with the reader properly configured.

If you have used your parents' card to pay for visa fees, it is also recommended that you send a photocopy of your birth certificate or family book.

Health expenses in Australia are very high, therefore we recommend that you plan to travel with travel insurance.

Up to 2 years of Work and Holiday Visa Australia

As reported by the Australian Government last November of 2016, people who are enjoying a visa Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462) they can extend their visa one more year.

To date, the Work and Holiday visa lasted 12 months, now you can extend it another year.

This will be possible as long as specific work has been carried out in certain areas of Australia for at least 3 months and since the November 19 of 2016 (more specifically, in the Northern Territories region within the sectors of agriculture, forest management, fisheries, tourism and hospitality).

In addition, since January 2017 it is possible to work 12 months with the same employer as long as it is in different locations. For example, imagine that you have worked for a company in Sydney and after 6 months you move to work with the same company but in another city or region. In that case, you can continue working with them for 6 more months.

Above all, do not stay with the desire

Do not panic! If you do not meet any of the requirements that the visa requires or you are not granted it because the number of visas available is over, you will always have a B plan that in many ways is a better option than Work and Holiday. This is the student visa, which will also allow you to work in Australia.

At Dingoos we can help you both with your processing and with other types of paperwork. Also, as soon as you arrive in Australia you will feel super integrated, because the Dingoos form a great family. Visit us on social networks to get an idea and subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to know about the latest!

If you want more information about this visa, do not hesitate to contact us.

We speak? Write us!

Fill out the form and a Dingoos Guide will write to you as soon as you read your mail.
Form image
Your message is on its way!
A Dingoos Guide will read it and respond to you in the next 24/48 hours.
If after this period you have not received an email, remember to check your Spam folder.

    Frequently asked questions about Work and Holiday Visa

    Can I work with my same employer for more than six months?

    Yes, all they want is for you to change location. Therefore, you can work for the same company as long as you change places and the company requests it to immigration. If you are going to work as an aupair, you could stay with the same family for longer, as long as immigration gives you permission. Keep in mind that with the student visa you can work throughout your stay with the same employer.

    Can I stay more than one year in Australia?

    In principle you would have to apply for another type of visa in order to stay longer in Australia (for example, the student visa). However, if you have worked in Northern Australia in the tourism, hospitality, agriculture or fishing industries, you could request a second Work and Holiday.

    Does it work if I present a bank account of a family member?

    In principle yes, but in that case you will have to justify the kinship by means of a copy of the family book or birth certificate.

    How many places are available for my country?

    You can visit the Australian Government website to check the Work & Holiday visa places that are available for your country.

    To ensure a better browsing experience, we advise you to put your phone vertically.

    Australia's most famous cookies are called "Anzac Biscuits". Accept them to continue browsing the web. See Cookies policy

    Notice of cookies