Visa types for Australia

It doesn't matter what you come to Australia for: whatever it is you will need a visa.
Types of Visa for Australia
In Dingoos we are experts in Australia and we will accompany you at each step to help you decide which visa suits you best. And once you are clear, we will help you with all the procedures to make it so easy that you do not even realize it.

Think of a visa as a kind of key that opens the doors of the country and all the opportunities that entails. But of course, to grant you this document, the Australian Government wants to know who you are, what you are coming from, how long you intend to stay, whether you come alone or in company and some other things.

That's why, as we said at the beginning, There are different types of visas for different types of people. But what you should be clear about is that one of them bears your name, so… read on to find out which one is best for you!

1. What is a visa and why do you need it?

First of all, a visa is nothing more than a document issued by a country that authorizes entry to a foreign person to their borders to study, work or just go on vacation. Each visa has a duration, a price and specific characteristics.

If you think, We are going to see the different types of Australian visas so you can get to know them. Of course, it is not necessary to repeat what we always tell you: in Dingoos we are here to analyze your personal situation and advise you on the visa that best suits your objectives. Do not hesitate to ask us any questions you have. Surely we have the exact answer to what worries you!

2. Types of visas for Australia

Among the different types of visas that exist to access Australia, the three most common visas are: the student visa, Work and Holiday visa and the tourist visa. Although there are also other less common visas since they require more specific requirements such as: Graduate Visa, Visa Sponsor y Skilled Visa.

Tourist visa

A visa that allows you to stay in Australia as a tourist for a maximum of 12 weeks.

Recommended option

Student visa

A visa that allows you to work in Australia 20 hours per week while studying a part-time course.

W&H Visa

A visa that allows you to work in Australia full-time and travel on your vacation.

Graduate Visa

A work visa for international students with studies related to Skill List work.

Visa Sponsor

A work visa for which an Australian company specifically hires a foreign worker.

Skilled Visa

A visa for skilled workers with demanded professions in Australia

Depending on your situation and what you need, one or the other will be better for you. For example, if your idea is to study English while working part-time to pay for your stay, the visa that best suits you is the student visa.

That's when Dingoos enters your life through a very special figure: the Dingoos Guide, who will help you choose the visa that best suits your needs and will accompany you throughout the process.

To facilitate all this information fuss we have developed the following table where you will see at a glance the main differences between the three most common visas:

* Depends on nationality
** Depends on course and holidays
*** Extensible for 1 more year depending on the specific requirements of each country

3. Tourist visa (600 or 651)

This is the option you are looking for if you are going to come to Australia on vacation or spend a short season.

There are two types of tourist visa: Visa eVisitor (651) which is free and allows you to stay up to 3 months and tourist visa Visitor (600) It costs between $ 140 AUD and $ 1020 AUD and allows you to stay up to 12 months in the country.


Useful information about the tourist visa:

  • Visa price: depending on the option you choose: free or between $ 140 AUD and $ 1020 AUD.
  • Nationality: All countries can apply for a tourist visa.
  • Required level of English: You don't need a minimum level of English. It would be more, if you had to be a polyglot to go on vacation!
  • Request mode: you must create your account at ImmiAccount and fill in the form for your request. Make sure your passport covers the entire period that you will remain in Australia.

Can you work with the tourist visa?

With this visa you cannot work under any circumstances, but you can study a course whose duration is less than 3 months.

If you are interested in this visa and want more information about it, check out our page on tourist visa For Australia where you will find all the detailed information on this type of visa, as well as a step-by-step guide to apply.

4. Student visa (500)

El student visa, is the most popular and the Ideal if you are looking to study in Australia while working part-time to pay for your stay.

In order to obtain a student visa you will have to enroll in a recognized course that lasts at least 10 weeks.

Your visa will cover the study period plus extra vacation time, which will vary depending on the duration of the course you choose. For example, if you decide to study a 6-month English course, your visa could have a duration of 8 months.

Among its advantages, it stands out that It is a visa that has no age limit for the applicant, you do not have to prove a minimum level of English and also, your partner can accompany you and also work part-time even if you are not a student.

If you decide on the student visa you are in luck, because thanks to the free service of Visa processing from Dingoos, We will take care of all the necessary procedures to obtain your visa and that you only have to worry about preparing your trip and waiting for the time to get on the plane.


Useful information about the student visa:

  • Visa price: $ 620 AUD.
  • Nationality: Depending on the nationality or personal profile of the applicant, the requirements to obtain the student visa may vary; That is why it is so important to study in depth each specific case and prepare a solid application. Do not worry: in Dingoos we are accredited educational agents and we will guide you through the process so that your application is impeccable.
  • Required level of English: If you come to study an English course (ELICOS) you will not need to accredit any level. If you come with the intention of studying a vocational course (VET or TAFE), you must have at least one level of English Upper intermediate.
  • Request mode: through the Australian Immigration Department, having enrolled in an accredited course and prior confirmation through the COE code that we will help you achieve during the process of school enrollment Where do you decide to study? You can be calm at all times, because although many of these things sound like mountains of paper, it will be one of our Visa Experts who will take care of everything for you. And for free!

Can you work with the student visa?

Yes, with the student visa You can work part-time, up to 20 hours per week during the study period and up to 40 hours during the vacation period.

And also, if you come to Australia with us, among others, you will have included our exclusive job search support service in which we will give you a lot of advice that will come in handy when it comes to finding the job you are looking for.

4.1. Student visa for couples

This type of visa It allows you to come to Australia accompanied by your partner so that you can both study and work legally in the country. Sounds good, right lovebirds?

It is an ideal option for formal couples and good avenues, although you should know that the conditions are not the same for both members.


Special features about the student visa as a couple:

  • Visa price: $ 1.080 AUD ($ 620 AUD of the principal applicant + $ 460 AUD of the dependent applicant).
  • Documents to prove the relationship: In general, applicants to this modality must demonstrate that they have been a couple for more than a year. The ways to prove it can vary according to each case. It is important to study the application in a personalized way. But, no worries, we will take care of informing you of the requirements that you must meet as a couple and we will help you assemble a solid application.
  • Required level of English: being a modality within the student visa, the same criteria of level of English already mentioned in the student visa apply. Of course, if necessary, only the main student must prove English level.
  • Possibility of studying for the dependent companion: The student's partner (main applicant) may also study if he wishes, but always taking into account the 3 month limit. If you wish to study a longer course, you must apply for your own student visa.

Can you work with this visa?

El student or principal applicant You can work part-time during the course (20 weekly hours) and full-time during vacations (40 weekly hours).

Meanwhile, the dependent applicant may work part-time only (with one exception: if the student is going to take a master's or a doctorate, the dependent may work full time).

Doubts? Check out our page Couple visa in Australia: everything you need to know to go deeper into detail.

5. Work & Holiday Visa (417)

The Work and Holiday visa grants you a residence permit in Australia for 1 year. Your holders can work (maximum of 6 months for the same employer) and study (for 3 months). Of course, you must take into account, that it is a visa that is not available for all nationalities and for those in which it is available, places are usually limited. You will have to be the first to request it and meet a series of requirements.

If you already have a Work & Holiday visa, surely you will have a lot of doubts and will need support when arriving in Australia. That is why at Dingoos we have designed a W&H Welcome Package with a lot of advantages that will help you start your adventure in the best possible way and make your integration into Australia an absolute success. Do not forget to check it out because we are sure that it will interest you ... and much!


Minimum requirements to acquire W&H

  • Have between 18 and 30 years (Although there are rumors that it will soon extend to 35, we will continue to report!).
  • Possess an official English degree (equivalent to a B2).
  • Have financial funds to cover your stay in Australia.
  • Apply from outside Australia.
  • Not be accompanied by a partner neither of children.

Useful information about the Work & Holiday visa:

  • Visa price: $ 485 AUD.
  • Countries with limited places: Spain, Chile, Argentina, Peru, Uruguay, Portugal, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Luxembourg, Poland, Slovak Republic, San Marino, Turkey and the United States of America.
  • Countries with unlimited places: Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Italy, Netherlands, United Kingdom, Republic of Cyprus, Republic of Ireland, Sweden and Canada.
  • Valid English titles to prove your level:
    • Cambridge English Advanced (CAE).
    • International English Language Assessment System (IELTS).
    • Occupational English Test (OET).
    • Test band of English as a foreign language through the Internet (TOEFL iBT).
    • Pearson Band Test of English Academic (PTE Academic).
  • English level test exception: You will not need to prove your level of English if you have any of the following nationalities: United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.
  • Request mode: On July 1 of each year the deadline for applying by postal or online mail is opened (depending on your nationality, you can do it in one way or another).

Can you work with the Work & Holiday Visa?

Yes of course. You can work 1 year in Australia, extendable to 2 years if you work for more than 3 months (within your first year) in specific areas defined by the Australian Government in jobs in the tourism, hospitality, agriculture, forestry or fishing sectors. You can even get a 3rd year from W&H if you work another 6 months in the areas and sectors already mentioned.

We know it's a lot of information and I'm sure you still want to know more things. That is why we have developed a definitive guide with everything about the Work and Holiday visa. Take a look and you'll see how clear your clarinet is!

We speak? Write us!

Contact us and a Dingoos Guide will get in touch with you as soon as possible :)
Form image
Your message is on its way!
A Dingoos Guide will read it and respond to you in the next 24/48 hours.
If after this period you have not received an email, remember to check your Spam folder.

    6. Graduate Visa (485)

    The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is a work visa designed for all those International students who have completed 2 years of study in degrees related to the most requested jobs in Australia (known as the Australian skill list). Its duration ranges between 18 months and 4 years, according to the study planning of each case. It's a big step in your career and the prelude to get the coveted Skilled Visa in many cases.

    Its two great advantages are that it allows you to start a career in Australia and that you can include members of your family in the application, specifically spouses, unmarried partners or same-sex couples and dependent children. They, in turn, may work without limitation of schedules.


    Useful information at the first visa look

    • Visa price: from $ 1.535 AUD.
    • Nationality: Nationality does not affect the application for this type of visa as it can only be accessed by people who have previously studied in Australia (that is, those who have already passed the nationality filter on the student visa).
    • General requirements: You can get it if you have finished your studies in Australia with a minimum Diploma degree. In addition, you must have your visa in force and that it has not been more than 6 months since you finished your studies.
    • Required level of English: General score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts of the General IELTS.
    • Request mode: It is requested online. These are the steps you must follow for your request:
      1. Create a new account or starts session in ImmiAccount.
      2. Attach your Documents and make sure family applications are processed together. Each family member must have their paid application fee and the documents attached to their application.
      3. Pay the application fee. The request will not be processed until the charge is paid. You will find more info in the following link of

    Can you work with the Graduate Visa?

    Of course: with the Graduate Visa you can work after completing your studies in Australia full-time.

    If you want to read more about this type of visa, give a read to our page with everything you wanted to know but nobody ever told you about the Temporary Graduate Visa.

    7. Visa Sponsor (482)

    This visa is currently known as the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa, although it is commonly called Sponsor Visa or Sponsorship. It is an unusual work visa and difficult to obtain, especially if you are out of the country.

    And why is it so hard to get? Because, to be granted, a company must show its interest in a worker (that is, you) and justify to the Australian Government why it needs to hire an outsider and not an Australian (that is, you).

    Among its advantages, highlight that It lasts between 3 and 4 years. In addition, it is extensible to all family members and requires the employer to pay an approximate minimum wage of $ 50.000 AUD.


    Useful information about the Visa Sponsor:

    • Visa price: from $ 1.265 AUD.
    • Nationality: anyone.
    • Request mode: You will have to prepare your application in collaboration with the company that has offered to sponsor you. The best way to achieve it is to be very professional, dedicated to your work and highly specialized.
    • Required level of English: You need to demonstrate a certain level of English, at least have a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General title.

    Can you work with this visa?

    Yes, with this visa you can work, and in addition to yours with a presumably high salary.

    8. Skilled Visa

    The Skilled Visa, rather than a type of visa would be a category since it includes many types of visas with a common denominator, all of them are designed to assess whether you have the specific skills that are demanded by the Australian Government for certain professions.

    If you meet the demanding requirements of a profession of the defendants, you could apply. Getting a Skilled Visa, you would get the desired permanent residence. In the following link, you can check the list of the most demanded professions.

    If you want to know the different subclasses of Skilled Visa for Australia, the documentation to be sent, the scoring system and other requirements about this exclusive visa, you will undoubtedly need the help of an immigration lawyer.


    The general requirements are:

    • Have under 45 years.
    • Have a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General title. The better you score, the more points you will get.
    • That your profession is within the list of most demanded professions in Australia.
    • Have demonstrable work experience in the position to which it applies.
    • Comply with the requirements that the competent authority requires to give you the professional validation.

    Useful information about the Skilled Visa:

    • Visa price: from $ 3.755 AUD.
    • Nationality: anyone.
    • Required level of English: You will need to have a score of 6 out of 9 in each part of the IELTS General title.
    • Request mode: It is advisable to make the application through an accredited immigration lawyer, but if you decide to apply for yourself, you should follow these steps:
      1. Log in to your account SkillSelect.
      2. In SkillSelect, click on the 'Request visa' button. This will take you to the online system, ImmiAccount.
      3. Log in or create an ImmiAccount. Your ImmiAccount username and password will not be the same as your SkillSelect username and password.
      4. Attach your documentation.
      5. Pay the application fee.
      6. Write down the reference number of your transaction (TRN).

    Can you work with this visa?

    Of course, this visa will offer you the same labor rights as any Australian. As you know, it is designed to work in Australia in one of the professions most demanded by the Government.

    9. Price of visas

    Then, in summary, we leave you a table that brings together all the prices of all types of visas that we have reviewed. So you can consult them at a glance.

    10. Frequently asked questions about visas for Australia


    Can I apply for a student visa with my partner? What requirements should we meet?

    You can apply for a student visa as a couple as long as you meet certain requirements and you can show that you have been together for a minimum of one year. Visit our page with all the information about the student visa in couple.


    Can I go to Australia to study with my minor child?

    If possible. However, if your child is over 5 years old, their schooling in Australia will be compulsory. You will have to attend an Australian educational center, with other Australian children, or a center with international minor students in order to reinforce your level of English.


    Is it mandatory to demonstrate funds in order to apply for the student visa for Australia?

    Funding requirements for student visa vary depending on the course and school you choose and your personal circumstances. If you are thinking of applying for a student visa, you can contact the Dingoos team and we will advise you based on your profile.


    Is it compulsory to take out health insurance in order to apply for a student visa?

    One of the main requirements to apply for a student visa is to take out specific medical insurance for international students, known as Overseas Student Health Cover, that covers the stay in Australia. There are different insurers that offer this insurance, and in this article from our blog you can find more information.


    Can I apply for a student visa with my insurance, which covers trips abroad?

    No, contracting OSHC insurance is mandatory in order to apply for a student visa, regardless of whether you have other insurance from your country of origin. You can purchase additional insurance if you wish to cover services that are not included in your OSHC insurance.


    If I apply for the student visa and then decide to cancel my experience, will I be reimbursed the cost of the visa application?

    No. The cost of the visa application is not refundable, regardless of whether or not you are granted a visa and whether or not you cancel your experience without having used the entire visa time.


    Can OSHC insurance be paid in installments?

    No. Immigration needs to check when reviewing your visa application that the insurance you have contracted covers your entire stay.


    I have sent the application to the student visa and I have seen that I have made a mistake. Can incorrect information be corrected?

    Yes, you can correct incorrect answers through the Immigration platform where visas are requested.


    Is the visa paid once you have been granted it?

    In order to send the visa application, it is mandatory to pay the Immigration fee. Until you make the payment, your request will not have been sent.


    From when can I enter Australia since the student visa is granted?

    Initially, once you are granted a visa, you can enter Australia whenever you want. However, keep in mind that you will not be able to work until your course starts, so it is not recommended to enter too far in advance.


    I am in Australia, my student visa is expiring and I want to apply for another one. What will happen once my current visa ends?

    You will have to apply for the new visa before your current visa expires. Once your current visa expires, and until Immigration responds to your new visa, you will be granted a bridging or bridging visa so that you can stay in Australia legally.


    From what moment can I work with a student visa?

    You can work once the course included in your visa begins. If you have enrolled in several courses, you can start working from the beginning of your first course.


    What is the start date of a Work and Holiday visa?

    The Work and Holiday visa is valid for twelve months from the time you enter Australia.


    How long do I have to enter Australia since the Work and Holiday visa is granted?

    You have a maximum period of twelve months to enter Australia from the moment the visa is granted.


    I have a bridging visa. Can I work until Immigration responds to my new visa?

    To find out if you can work or study with your bridging visa, you will have to consult the conditions in the visa document.


    How long does Immigration take to respond to my student visa?

    Immigration response times to visas may vary depending on the time of year and the volume of applications received by the Department. In the Web page Immigration you can check the estimated response times of each visa.


    Can I leave Australia while I wait for my student visa application to be answered?

    Yes, but you will need to apply for a specific bridge visa in order to leave Australia.


    If I apply with my partner to a student visa as a couple, the person who does not need to study can work?

    Yes, but with a limitation of 20 hours per week. You will not be able to work 40 hours during your partner's school vacation time,


    Is it possible to study with any other visa, apart from the student visa?

    There are other visas that you can work with, but there is a maximum time limit. With the Work and Holiday visa, for example, you can only study a maximum of four months in total.


    How can I know the price of each visa?

    You can check the application fee for each visa in the Web page Immigration.


    If I am within Australia and want to apply for a tourist visa, what visa should I apply for?

    If you are within Australia you must request the Visitor subclass 600

    11. How do we help you from Dingoos?

    In Dingoos, as educational agents accredited with the QEAC qualification, we advise you and help you obtain the student visa. We take care of evaluating your risk profile and carry out all the necessary procedures for the preparation and application to your visa. Forget about paperwork!

    How do we do it? Very easy!

    • First We help you choose the city, the school and the course or courses you are looking for.
    • We handle the enrollment in the course and school that you have chosen
    • We evaluate your risk profile and inform you about the requirements that you must meet to apply to the student visa. Depending on your nationality, the Australian Government may request more or less documentation to support your application.
    • Thus, We tell you exactly what documents you need to present so that your application is solid.
    • We help you collect these documents, review them and prepare everything to upload your application to the student visa With the maximum guarantees.

    So you know, if you have any questions about the processing of student visa for AustraliaDo not hesitate to contact us. We are accredited professionals and we will be happy to help you get the coveted visa grant so you can fulfill your dream of studying and working in Australia.

    What our students say about us

    This is how our services are valued by people who are enjoying Australia while reading these lines.


    To ensure a better browsing experience, we advise you to put your phone vertically.

    Australia's most famous cookies are called "Anzac Biscuits". Accept them to continue browsing the web. See Cookies policy

    Notice of cookies